New system doesn't POST or beep

edited June 2006 in Hardware
I put together a new system:
ASUS P5WD2-E Premium motherboard
Intel Pentium D 930 Presler 800MHz Dual Core
Radeon X1900XTX PCI Express x16 video card
two sticks of DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) SDRAM
and some other stuff.

Anyway the system doesn't POST or beep, i know i put the processor in correctly. The CPU fan turns on, the videocard fan turns on, there is a green light on the mobo. But the screen stays blank and the pc speaker makes not a sound at all. It's not the RAM at least not unless both sticks are dead.

:bawling:

sounds similar to http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46462

graaa... maybe it's the damn motherboard and I should exchange it? ideas?

P.S. I really don't have any other pieces of hardware to substitute... ugh...

Comments

• edited June 2006
    I put together a new system:
    ASUS P5WD2-E Premium motherboard
    Intel Pentium D 930 Presler 800MHz Dual Core
    Radeon X1900XTX PCI Express x16 video card
    two sticks of DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) SDRAM
    and some other stuff.

Anyway the system doesn't POST or beep, i know i put the processor in correctly. The CPU fan turns on, the videocard fan turns on, there is a green light on the mobo. But the screen stays blank and the pc speaker makes not a sound at all. It's not the RAM at least not unless both sticks are dead.

:bawling:

sounds similar to http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46462

graaa... maybe it's the damn motherboard and I should exchange it? ideas?

P.S. I really don't have any other pieces of hardware to substitute... ugh...

Just like in university, some problems require two beers before they can be resolved. The issue was in the fact that i needed another 4 pin power connector to hook up to the MB.

Someone shoot me for being a dumbass...:aol:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Someone shoot me for being a dumbass...
    No, no, don't say that! Some systems that have the 8 pin sockets on the motherboard (2 X 4-pin) will work with the old P4 connectors while others will not.

So, you've got it running? Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. Please stick around! Make S-M your community.

Look at my signature and you'll see I'm a big fan of the mobo you selected.:p
  • edited June 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    No, no, don't say that! Some systems that have the 8 pin sockets on the motherboard (2 X 4-pin) will work with the old P4 connectors while others will not.

So, you've got it running? Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. Please stick around! Make S-M your community.

Look at my signature and you'll see I'm a big fan of the mobo you selected.:p

:cool2:
    Well I got it to post and beep so that's good progress, I'm planning to stick everything in the case today and install the OS.

Question though: will it let me boot off a USB drive? I have an ISO (legal) of winxp 64bit and it's too large for a CD but just the right size for my USB drive. I wanted to unpack it and copy to USB and go from there.

:)