Windows Vista Beta 2 Available for Public Download

2»

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    This is pissing me off.

Every time I try to download the 64 bit edition, Firefox reports an error in "saving the .part file" and leaves me with a partial 4.1 gig file, and IE6 only downloads a freakin' 13.7 MB file and acts like nothing is wrong. :(

Download "FlashGet" and use that.
    Heh, now that I've downloaded it I don't feel like installing it, lol. Seems like it adds a bit of eye-candy with no performance increases or any real benefit but still uses masses of RAM and needs a decent system :scratch:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    This is pissing me off.

Every time I try to download the 64 bit edition, Firefox reports an error in "saving the .part file" and leaves me with a partial 4.1 gig file, and IE6 only downloads a freakin' 13.7 MB file and acts like nothing is wrong. :(

look over to the right, and you can download the file by itself without the download manager. at least thats what I did, but it was going too damn slow for me.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Am I the only one who decided to order the DVD???:scratch:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    maybe from here. but why buy the DVD when you can just download it for free?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Because it's been damn near impossible to download it.
  • edited June 2006
    Yeah I downloaded it w/o MS's download manager (thanks Enverex). It was Firefox and IE that were messing it up.

Anyways I'm burning it now.

Kwitko, once I used a different download manager I had no trouble getting the file. The download finished in an hour and a half.
    edited June 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    Kwitko, once I used a different download manager I had no trouble getting the file. The download finished in an hour and a half.

You can't even download the ISO now. All you get is a message:
    Thank you for your interest in Windows Vista Beta 2.

We are currently experiencing a high level of demand and cannot process your request at this time.

Please check back later for availability. We apologize for any inconvenience.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    That's the error I was getting most of the day yesterday until I was finally able to get through.
  • edited June 2006
    I got that a couple times too, but I just kept plugging at it once or twice every few minutes and I'd get through.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited June 2006
    im downloading it right now with out their download manager at about 538K a second.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Im using it now. Definitely takes a little getting used to but.. I can say I do like it so far :)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I wonder if MS will respect other OSs you have installed and not erase your MBR when the final version of Vista comes out...
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Trying the 32bit.
    I leveled out at 370KB/s. 3 hrs according to the DL manager, but it seems to be DL'ing faster than that.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited June 2006
    It's not very often that we have a chance to take a look at a new Windows operating system here at AnandTech.

Not including the release of Windows XP x64 (the 64-bit version of windows) last year, Microsoft's premier operating system for workstation and home computer use has been Windows XP for nearly 5 years; that's an unprecedented period of time from Microsoft.

However, that quiet period is about to come to a close early next year, as Microsoft begins to ramp up for the release of the next version of Windows: Windows Vista.

Windows Vista: Beta 2 Preview

I thought it would be nice to read the report.

Edit,
    Using Firefox to download the 64 bits Vista version failed twice, at less then 1% left to download.
    And the IE6.0 can't download it "as previsouly mentioned". (it's too large, only ~14 KB will be downloaded).

But when I used the Opera 9.0, I managed to download it.

More news about Opera,
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2943