Possible to OC Pentium D 930 on an INTEL D945 mobo?

edited June 2006 in Hardware
Is it possible to overclock my Pentium D 930 running on an INTEL D945 board?

I can't do it from BIos, but I think there used to be a program do OC it from Windows?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Yes, if your motherboard has an overclocking BIOS, you can overclock the 930, assuming your power supply unit is strong enough, the CPU has a good heatsink/fan, and that the case is well ventilated. Don't know about overclocking software. That would depend on what motherboard you have.
  • edited June 2006
    I have hte 945PSN, made my Intel. Not another brand. Genuine intel.
    edited June 2006
    Bradley, without knowing what model of Intel motherboard you have, I cannot advise you conerning overclocking. Intel boards tend to be very good quality, stable, expensive, but usually without options for performance tweaking and overclocking. Download and run Belarc Advisor. It should indicate exactly which Intel model you have. "945PSN" is the specific chipset, not the motherboard model.
  • edited June 2006
    Leonardo,

No dude, the CHIPSET is the 945P. The MOTHERBOARD is the INTEL 945PSN, bought here at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121288
    edited June 2006
    I stand corrected.

Sorry, I don't know what's in the BIOS. Check in Advanced Settings. If there are adjustments available for memory speed and FSB, then you should be able to overclock with that board.

You stated that you cannot overclock from the BIOS. If that means there are no adjustable settings there, then I don't see any software being able able to help you. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure no motherboard manufacturer makes overclocking software for motherboards that don't have overclocking options in the BIOS.
  • edited June 2006
    Darn. There aren't any settings that will let me :(
  • edited June 2006
    AFAIK, most Intel boards have zippo in the way of bios overclocking options, which you already know, bradley. Maybe there is some software windows app that can overclock your board. I think ClockGen is one such program you can try. It has to be able to find the clock generator on your mobo to work. I've personally never used it because any mobo I buy has overclocking features in bios.