Samsung DVD/CD Burner suddenly stopped reading all cds

SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hi all,
I am back again to the fount of all knowledge!!!

I have a PC less than 6 months old - the optical drive - a Samsung has suddenly stopped reading any cds - havent got a dvd to try it with.

I put a cd - premade, music, game disc, program disk etc in the drive and the green light comes on as if it is reading the disk and then nothing!

I double click on D drive and I get no error message - just an empty folder

I click on propertiies and check the disk and it sees that a disk is in and it sees it as 0 bytes used and 0 bytes available

So wtf is going on?????

Why has it suddenly stopped?

What can I do about it?

thanks guys

Siggy

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    First troubleshooting step:

- turn off computer
    -unplug power cable from the wall
    - open the case
    - disconnet the power and data cables of the DVD/CD drive from the drive and motherboard
    - reconnect the cables
    - power on the computer

If the problem persists, we'll go from there.
  • SiggySiggy Sydney Australia
    edited June 2006
    Leonardo - I have done that and it is still the same!

What Next?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Do you have another ribbon cable you could swap out with the one currently connected to the drive? That would be my next step. Sometimes those cables have defects that make them fail prematurely. You can also try removing the drive in Device Manager, shutting down the system, disconnecting the power, restarting, and see if Windows we re-detect the drive and reinstall it. If neither of those two troubleshooting steps fix the problem, you've probably got a bad drive. I have optical drives quit working before they should have, but they've usually been generic or store brand drives.

Steps to 'remove' (uninstall) the optical drive from the operating system:

- right click on My Computer
    - select Properties from the dropdown menu
    - select Hardware
    - select Device Manager
    - click on the '+' (expand) the "DVD/CD-ROM" drive entry (it may be called DVD/CDR or something like that), the drive should be listed by name and model after you expand the entry
    - right click on the displayed drive
    - select uninstall
    - shut down the system and disconnect power for half a minute
    - restart the system and let Windows find the drive and install it
    -
  • edited July 2006
    PROBLEM FIXED please read…..

I recently had a problem with my DVD/CD-RW combo drive which just stopped reading any kind of CD/DVD discs.

The CD drive was showing up as OK and it would open to take my discs, but when I close the CD tray to start my CD the light would flash as if it was going to start, then just not do anything.

I thought I had a faulty drive so went and purchased another one, installed it and lo-and-behold… I had the same problem with the new drive.

I read on the internet that many people experiencing the same problem have tried everything, including reformatting their PC’s which I thought was a bit drastic.

Anyway >>> HERE IS HOW I FIXED THE PROBLEM <<<

I ran my Registry Mechanic program to scan my registry for errors and it found 6 missing or corrupt .dll registry entries. The .dll files should be located in my windows system folder, one of which was called nspp6.dll ( can’t remember the others )

Using my Registry Mechanic I pressed the “fix errors” button and that was it !!!

So before you end up buying a new CD rom drive or re-formatting your PC’s, make sure you run some kind of registry scan/fixing software or check for missing .dll files from your system folder.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards
    Tony