Building a friends rig

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Hardware
Hey, got a simple question. I am going to build a nice rig for a friend. I have spent hours of time picking out parts and checking compatability and features, bla bla bla. He is going to pay for it all himself, then I will be puting it all together and setting it up for him (more time). Now the question.....

Should I ask for payment of some sort?

He is a nice guy and helpfull to me at work. He is not my best friend or anything, but I like him, that is why I offered to help him out. I never said that i want anything in return so far, but my wife thinks that I sould be paid for my services.

What do you think?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I'd charge a nominal fee, at least to cover your trouble. The thing is, if something goes wrong, he'll be coming to you for "free" tech support.... if you know what I mean.

trust me, from someone who has been through this way too many times.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2006
    If hes not your best friend charge him :) .
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Any idea how much?

As far as technical support, Im gonna put short-media.com in his favorites!!!!

Also any thoughts on "Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/Update Rollup Release 2 OEM 1 Pack" instead of XP home?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Maybe instead of cash you would be better off asking if he would purchase a hardware item for you? It might seem less like payment and more like 'returning a favor'.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited June 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    Maybe instead of cash you would be better off asking if he would purchase a hardware item for you? It might seem less like payment and more like 'returning a favor'.
    Maybe a new dvd drive or something of low value.

I'd ask for like $30.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Excellent idea. You need to state this up front before you/he order parts. At that time also, you should let him know what, if any support you will provide after the system is built. And as Prime mentioned, that support can be a real pain. Even if the customer doesn't pay you, he WILL come to you when the system is riddled with spyware or the CDROM dies early. Not to dissuade you from sharing your skills, just to forewarn you.

Proposed offer of support:

Operating system support for two weeks...and he brings the computer to YOUR place.
    Zero replacements for failed hardware - give him the receipts, manuals and boxes. RMA's/returns are up to him.
    Hardware/configuration support - that's totally up to you. (If it's a relative, they might expect support for the life of the system.)

Better to lay it all out before any money is spent, so that neither of you have any false assumptions. Something about fences and good neighbors.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Thanks guys,:cheers: I will work it out that he buys me a nice kvm switch cuz I get sick of switching cables when im settin up a rig and I have been wantin one for a while. It's kinda related to helpin him out as well. :thumbsup:

Oh yah, he'll have to do the RMA,s and such if there are any.:wink: