Custom Building A Gaming Computer

edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hi Ive got a dell dimension 2400 which is about a year and a half old, I Got some new games for it (Command and Conquer Generals and Empire Earth 2) But they keep jumping/jolting when i play them. So i went to 3 of my local computer shops; 1 was shut, 1 said bring the computer to them and the 3rd one said that i need a new processor or a graphics card however because its dell i might as well sell it and either buy or build a custom one.

I just wanted to know i anyone can tell me what i'd need, where to buy them and approximatly how much the bits would cost.

Thanks Jon

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Hello Jon,

Can you tell us what CPU and Video are in the machine now?

If you don't know....how about the express service code on the back or side...that will let us look it up at Dell's site.
  • edited June 2006
    erm.. the CPU is "Celeron (R) 2.40 GHz"
    "2.39GHz"

I dont know how to find the video.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    How much ram is in the PC? I bet that is causing most of the problems, if you only have 256MB or even 512.

Does the Monitor connect to the PC down by the expansion slots or up near the printer port etc?
  • edited June 2006
    i dont know if i got all of the express service code because i put duct tape over it and it got stuck to the stick but what i got off the tape was 255705 and i think a 7 comes next
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited June 2006
    Even tho a Cele 2.4 isnt the best chip out there it still has enuff power to handle games like Command and Conquer Generals and Empire Earth 2..i would guess that the graphic power on that machine to be onboard(might be wrong)

Here is a lil tool that people use to check if a game will be able to run on your system..it also tells you specs about ur PC.
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

Onboard video can be good with games out there but not many that use alot of power/resources..
  • edited June 2006
    the games do work just the graphics have to be incredably low and even then it still jolts and jumps
  • edited June 2006
    Video Card
    Minimum: 64 MB 3D DirectX 9.0c compatible video card with Hardware T & L and Pixel Shader support (NVIDIA GeForce 3+, ATI Radeon 8500+)

You Have: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Intel(R) 82845G Graphics Controller) FAIL: Sorry, your video card does not meet this minimum requirement. Upgrade to a more powerful video card will make all your applications look better. Click the 'We Recommend' button to see some great options.

Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
    Video RAM: Required - 64 MB , You have - 64.0 MB
    Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - No
    Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 1.0 , You have - 0.0
  • edited June 2006
    i have 512mb RAM
  • edited June 2006
    got to go for today but please leave as much info as possible and thank you for helping
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    If it is a Dell 2400 you do not have the options to upgrade your GPU, as all or most of the 2400's lack an AGP slot.. and is far from having a PCI-E slot. the highest grade GPU via PCI slot are only offered from Nvidia and that would be a 5500 for around $65.00 or a 6200 which I have yet to see not sold out where ever it is sold. Performance over onboard with either of the above cards will be good but far from great...

You are better off buying a new PC if you have to buy a new Mobo, CPU & Graphics Card.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I'm 100% certain that it's the video card alone that is holding you back.

I agree with Sledge - you're pretty limited in what you can upgrade to, since the 2400 series only has PCI slots. Unfortunately it looks as if your best bet is to upgrade the motherboard, CPU, and possibly the power supply as well (the dells only come with a stock 250W PSU). At this point, you're up in the pricing territory of a whole new PC anyway...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    I haven't checked for that specific model, but you may well need a new case if you go the new MB route. A good bet if you're on a budget is to look for a Case + PSU combo, making sure that the PSU is adequate for your needs.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited June 2006
    This problem that i have seen before is that onboard video.if you decided to go with just a video card (Nvidia 5500 or =)upgrade im pretty sure everyone here will agree that the experience you have in games such as the ones you mention will be GREATLY improved.Onboard video is such a basic way of processing video and like i said before onboard will run alot of games out there its really not that great for games that demand more.

BTW if you dont mind me asking..What is your buget range? This will help determin some suggested hardware for your case.

If your buget is very low($50-$100) then we can suggest some PCI 3D Cards that will work with your system.If you Buget more than that then we can start with finding some MB's,Cases,3D Cards,Ram..whatnot that will suit your needs :)

Guys if i start typin ReTarDed just PLEASE forgive me :)
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    ... so, to wrap it up, you need an entire new PC.
  • edited June 2006
    well i live in the UK soo, i am willing to spend between £0-£350 but if im in a good spending mood i might spend more.

Soo i could use the case iv got. If not a computer shop i know sells cases. Then i could just buy a mother board and everything else needed to have a good working games computer? i might need some help putting it together but it seems straight forward. And i probably will custom build one, iv always wanted to.
  • edited June 2006
    I've just spent £350 on a motherboard and graphics card. If you want to build an entire system you're going to have to put some more money down.
  • edited June 2006
    i can do that ... i guess ill spend however much it costs
  • edited June 2006
    if i go and buy a case soon are there any size specifications needed? or do they all fit what im gona wana fit in it?
  • edited June 2006
    they sell cases similar to http://www.conceptscom.net/image/casing13.jpg that
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited June 2006
    Unfortunately they wont all just fit. I haven't built a PC for a few years now so my terminology my be a bit out of touch. The main issue is the form factor of your motherboard. Most nowadays are ATX or M-ATX there may be some newer too. I think an M-ATX mb will fit a ATX case as it is just smaller but don't quote me on that. I used to have an AMD athlon 1.2GHz 1GB ram and a G-Force MX 440 and C&C was very slow but playable. You wont get anything much better than you already have for £350 and it will be out dated before you get back from Game with your latest purchase. Ill try and find you a decent system at a decent price.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited June 2006
    Try This

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Full_Systems.html

look for this model: "Titan Vantage" AMD Athlon 64 3200+ System (FS-009-OK). Avoid anything on this page with onboard graphics. You wont get monitor and stuf with this one. Its reasonabley priced and not bad spec.

The main thing to consider is that the more you spend the less frequently your going to need to upgrade. So yes spend £500 now and it will last maybe two years. spend £800-£1000 and you can probably double the time
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Do you want to build it yourself?
    To be honest the hardware is not a big deal. It is software that bites.

If you get a good mobo, a mid-range CPU, a bit of memory, and a good viceo card you will be set. You can upgrade the CPU and add memory next year to buy some more life.
    If I was buying today I would wait a couple of weeks. The world is changing right now.
    In short, an AMD AM2 mobo with the nForce570ultra chipset. ($100-120)
    A low end CPU (3200+ single core $100)
    A single 1GB stick of DDR2 memory ($65)
    For video, a 7600GT or 7600GS are a real sweet spot for price/perf. ($150)
    This brings us to about $450 without a case, PSU or any drives. But it gives you an idea.
  • edited June 2006
    im alright at working withsoftware soo thats not to much of a big deal. i think that if i build one i get exactly what i want and ill learn how to replace the chips if i get a new one but if i wanted a computer that was quickly made i would buy one from a company like RichD suggested.

so .. i think i might end up building one because it could be interesting to do. so i think i will build one.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    zognogin wrote:
    ...i think i might end up building one because it could be interesting to do. so i think i will build one.
    You will learn a great deal along the way and will likely become an expert on how your computer works. That alone makes it worth the effort.

It's a lot of fun, too. :cheers:
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited June 2006
    If you do build one I can not stress enough to but the best motherboard you can. When I first built a PC I chose my processor then got the cheapest board which would accept that chip. Consequently a year or so later my CPU was strugling and I had to buy a whole new system. If you buy a top notch mother board and the cheapest processor that fits the board you will have plenty of overhead left on the board to upgrade CPU and RAM later down the line. Kind of what edcentric was saying.
    edited June 2006
    Now, you are in the UK? So you need a source.
    We will have to wait for some of our brothers from that region of the world to speak up.
    Then we can work on a specific parts list.
    In the US we would send you to Newegg. No question.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
  • edited June 2006
    Yay thank you :D
  • edited June 2006
    ooo could u guys tell me what to look for in a processor and mother board. iv never completely understood

is these ones good ?
    http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=310790
    http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=42HZ&CategorySelectedId=11143&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11143&v=2#infoarea

ill buy the better of the two
    edited June 2006
    I wouldn't build 939, I would go to AM2 now.
    http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=320229
    Like this one.

And this for a CPU
    http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=320784