Custom Building A Gaming Computer

2»

Comments

• edited June 2006
    I'm going to add overclockers.co.uk to your list of online stores. Best place for graphics cards by far...
  • edited July 2006
    once iv got themw hat else do i need to buy?

im gona guess graphics cards etc but tell me anyway

and im still not sure what to do bout a case

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/7950_Series.html
    im gona be saving up for a while for any of these
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited July 2006
    If you go with cards that use more than one explansion slot (the things on the back of your PC that look like cheap alluminum foil), make sure you don't have too many other cards like modem eslot fan etc, because it makes it a bit hard to work in the case, and with the fan in the GPU going, it gets really dusty so cleaning is a must atleast once every 2-3 months.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I'd have to advise away from OcUK, I've heard nothing but hatred towards them in every field (the people that work there and their methods of things).
  • edited July 2006
    Have you ever met anybody that likes their employer?
  • edited July 2006
    ??? probably why?
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited July 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    I'd have to advise away from OcUK, I've heard nothing but hatred towards them in every field (the people that work there and their methods of things).
    rapture-IC wrote:
    zognogin wrote:
    ??? probably why?

That's why. He wasn't really asking you to help answer your computer question. :thumbsup:
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited July 2006
    I use overclockers almost exclusively now. I have never had a bad deal from them and they are competitive on price. The only people I have ever had problems with was dabs when they refused to refund goods which were damaged on arrival and insight direct with long delivery times.

OC are fine
    edited July 2006
    rapture-IC wrote:

What does that have to do with anything? I'm refering to customers having very bad experiences, not the staff (having bad experiences WITH the staff, not the staff having bad experiences). Meh, maybe they've changed over the years and this has all blown over then.

Although this may be worth a read (although slightly dated now):
    http://rage3d.net/board/showthread.php?t=33796684
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Um. No offense to the guys that own computer shops, but I would not spend a [strike]dollar[/strike] pound in one of them. You are better off purchasing off one of the internet stores in the uk, they will undobtably have much better prices.

I'm not sure about how much the price of componets over in the uk are, but here, you can build a decent computer (with a new monitor sometimes) for around 800-900 dollars, which comes out to around 500 pounds at the moment.

We can look around, and I think that depending if you want a new monitor you might get away with 450 pounds for the whole build.

although, if you buy really high end componets, it is going to shoot the price up, the 500 pound estimate will most likely get you a nice computer that will be a fairly well performing computer, I will get a list of componets up shortly.
    edited July 2006
    Heh, doesn't work like that Airborn. Add 20% VAT, 20% UK extortion and you're looking at around £800 anyway.
    edited July 2006

That brings your total to right around 575 pounds without the psu. It came out high because I get you a 2gb kit of ram, and a decent video card, but you said you wanted a higher end Video card anyway, like a 7950GX2 I think it was?

Anyway, there is something to start with, and everone else can run with it.
    edited July 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Heh, doesn't work like that Airborn. Add 20% VAT, 20% UK extortion and you're looking at around £800 anyway.

what is vat and uk extortion?:confused:

ok, i found value added tax, but nothing for extortion.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited July 2006
    Um. No offense to the guys that own computer shops, but I would not spend a [strike]dollar[/strike] pound in one of them. You are better off purchasing off one of the internet stores in the uk, they will undobtably have much better prices.

I'm not sure about how much the price of componets over in the uk are, but here, you can build a decent computer (with a new monitor sometimes) for around 800-900 dollars, which comes out to around 500 pounds at the moment.

We can look around, and I think that depending if you want a new monitor you might get away with 450 pounds for the whole build.

although, if you buy really high end componets, it is going to shoot the price up, the 500 pound estimate will most likely get you a nice computer that will be a fairly well performing computer, I will get a list of componets up shortly.

This is not necessarly true. Some builders (like myself) don't charge overhead for parts. It's the overhead for the parts that makes alot of shops seem to expensive.
    edited July 2006
    jradmin wrote:
    This is not necessarly true. Some builders (like myself) don't charge overhead for parts. It's the overhead for the parts that makes alot of shops seem to expensive.

yeh, but the shops that dont are pretty much a rarity. I work with a guy that owns a computer shop, and he charges a 20% markup on parts + $35/hr. Which is pretty decent around here, because some of the shops charge up to $70 to set your computer on the counter, he will look at it for free.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    A shop that specializes in repairs is almost always going to tack a premium onto the replacement parts they sell, if for no other reason than they don't buy enough of each item to get a big discount from the wholesalers. The repair shops I worked for hardly stocked anything, and certainly nothing more exotic than a generic MB, RAM, etc. If we needed anything more expensive than a network card we would often have to wait for an overnight delivery from the supply company.

Shops that offer a lot of new system builds are often much more reasonable in price parts-wise. They know they're likely to need a bunch of each individual part every month and can order in bulk.
    edited July 2006
    Yeh, the guy I work with keeps 0 inventory, thus he also has 0 overhead, as he works out of his home. He doesnt make a killing at it, but I belive he makes around 40k a year, and that is his side job. Pretty interesting fellow; he is a janitor at a local school that I'm working at, and his wife encouraged him to go to college, so he got a degree in CS and got multiple certs, 7 years later there he is.
  • edited July 2006
    OK, I bought a new computer entirely so i could play Elder Scrolls 4: oblivion, i used srtest.com to scope my comp. Only thing im short is the video card, now i avoided getting a video card with the package because i want the best one...But i was assuming I could run this game with the onboard video being that my cpu is 3.2ghz, but it seems it requires 2 things...

Video HW Transform & Lighting

and

Vertex Shader Ver

Is there a way to download the necessary things to avoid these requirements or add them...IM wanting to play right now not in 4 days...:doh:
  • edited July 2006
    But i was assuming I could run this game with the onboard video being that my cpu is 3.2ghz
    No chance, Oblivion is probably one of the most graphically intensive games available.

Here is some light reading for you. You want at least a X1900XT to play this game as the developers intended.

And no, you can't download hardware :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I have a pretty nice video card by most standards (Radeon X850XT) and it plays oblivion reasonably well - i'd say "medium" settings - definitely not as pretty as the game can be, but it works. I have an AGP card for sale that would definitely play oblivion on medium-low settings. My kids played oblivion for months with this card and they loved it. Does your computer have an AGP slot?
  • edited July 2006
    no agp no, pcie pci only
    edited July 2006
    yeh, I have a 6800GT, and oblivion brings it to its knees with just about everything maxed out, I am only getting like 35-40fps, although, im sure that since i only have an a64 2800+ the cpu is the bottleneck. Now if I back some of the setting down to medium or so i get a steady 60 or so.
  • edited July 2006
    Prime, problem with the x850 is the lack of HDR. You're really missing out on how good this game can really look.
    edited July 2006
    No HDR for me either:(
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    yeah i know... but HDR == $$$ which I don't have :D
    edited July 2006
    I dont even really know what HDR is, all I know is that when I tried to enable it in oblicion, my computer sard:
    "BORK BORK BORK I DONT THINK SO MOTHERF'ER ...PLEASE INSERT GEFORCE 593020494GTX!!!1!!one! AND TRY AGAIN
  • edited July 2006
    ok :D i have alot to think bout thank you