I need expert advice

King-without-a-crownKing-without-a-crown Glendale, Arizona
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Is this a good system? This is my first time building a computer and I wanted to make sure I dont screw anything up. I have been learning about how to build one for about a year or so now.
I looked around at a Store site that I will want to get all my parts at and this is what I found for my price range? I think it looks like a pretty good system, But I need to know if it is of gaming quality? Are all the parts compatible with eachother, will they perform well when they are all put together?

So here it is

Corsair 1GB PC3200 Kit (400MHz, 2x512MB) DDR 184Pin - Model #VS1GBKIT400 - Lifetime Warranty $69.99

Raidmax Scorpio Mid Tower Case $74.99

Maxtor 300GB L01R300 16MB Buffer Ultra ATA/133 - Retail Hard Drive Kit $74.99

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe NVIDIA® nForce™ 4 SLI
Socket 939 ATX Motherboard $149.99

DIAMOND GX300SE 256MB PCI-E Graphic Card $99.99

AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3500+ with Enhance Virus Protection* - ADA3500CGBOX - Box CPU - Socket 939 $109.99

The total comes out to be just over $600.

Any Advice is greatly apreciated!

Comments

• edited June 2006
    Depends what you plan to use it for and how long you will keep it.
  • King-without-a-crownKing-without-a-crown Glendale, Arizona
    edited June 2006
    Online use and downloading as well as gaming!:aol:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    First and foremost is to make sure you have a good high quality power supply with at least 400W. Go with makers like Fortron source, OCZ, Seasonic and Silverstone. Stay away from Raidmax, Foxcon and ones that are not well known for quality.

To keep within the same bdget as the vid card you listed I would go with something like this MSI RX800-TD128E Radeon X800 128MB 256-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card for $102.99. it will walk all over the X300 card you listed and make change in comparison.

I would also spring for better memory with tighter timings like this OCZ Enhanced Latency 1GB (2 x 512MB).
    edited July 2006
    Thanks for the advice on the Power Supply as well as the Video card. I am not very knowlageable when it comes to video cards, I have been paying more attention to the bigger things like the mobos and the processors. But i recently learned that the video card makes a big difference.

I went to the store to start buying a few parts the other day.
    I got the 300GB Maxtor hard drive like I was expecting but When I was looking at procesors I decided to go for Then Intel Pentium D system instead of the AMD Athalon, because I found a good deal, I could go dual core for just a little bit more with this system, it only cost me $150. And now that changes my plan for the mobo. Which I will need to look into, I looked at one at the store that I might get.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    What processor model did you buy?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3500+ with Enhance Virus Protection* - ADA3500CGBOX - Box CPU - Socket 939 $109.99

I would have waited for conroe, even if you didnt buy conroe, amd will surely have a pricedrop when it comes out.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    how about antec and enermax...do they still provide good power?
    edited July 2006
    antec's arent what they used to be, although, I still think enermax psu's are pretty decent quality wise, although, they never were really the flashiest.
    edited July 2006
    I agree with Andy, Antec isn't what they used to be. I don't think I will buy anymore untill I see some real solid units again. Enermax was never bad. They just didn't do as well with socket A systems. There are now enough good players on the field to stick with just one or two.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I've had bad experiences with Enermax, they, in general have poor rails, or at least used to, especially on the 5v lines.
    edited July 2006
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    I agree with Andy, Antec isn't what they used to be. I don't think I will buy anymore untill I see some real solid units again. Enermax was never bad. They just didn't do as well with socket A systems. There are now enough good players on the field to stick with just one or two.

yeh, for my next build, I think I have my eye set on a big ocz power stream, and I am gonna do custom wiring for it. I cant wait.:smiles:
    edited July 2006
    since i've got a similiar problem to this dude, selecting a new psu... what is the main difference between these two and is it significant for someone who has about about 8 fans, one hd, one cdrw/dvd combo, and a 2.53 ghz p4a

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104935

also, with all the fans, should i go for a forton 500w like this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104934
    edited July 2006
    I'd get the biggest you can afford.
    edited July 2006
    I'd get the biggest you can afford.
    WuGgaRoO, Andy has a good point as far as future-proofing goes! If you can spend more and do plan on upgrading your system in the next year or so I say go for broke. Otherwise I think the two best deals right now are;
    edited July 2006
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    WuGgaRoO, Andy has a good point as far as future-proofing goes! If you can spend more and do plan on upgrading your system in the next year or so I say go for broke. Otherwise I think the two best deals right now are;

And I can vouch for OCZ psu's I have a 520 watt modstream, the biggest and baddest at the time. For my next build, I plan on using the nicest powerstream I can afford, as the modstream is nice, but I think I prefer custom cabling rather than a modular one, and the cables are stiffer than I had planned on them being.
    edited July 2006
    do you think i can zip tie a 80mm fan as an outtake or would that be overkill?
    also as far as upgrading is concerned, I honestly think i might hold onto this for maybe a year or two... also..sorry for the thread jack...but do u suppose its worth it to purchase pc3200 ram right now for this machine because i currently have pc2100

also..what is this SLI certifified nonsense... is it just PSU's which pass nvidia standards or is there an extra cord included...also if the modstream is not SLI certified does that mean its not as worthy of a psu
    edited July 2006
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    what is this SLI certifified nonsense... is it just PSU's which pass nvidia standards...

Exactly that, but trust me, it is no gaurantee that it will run a pair of vid cards.

What were you talking about an 80mm on the outside of the psu? I dont think that will be nesesary. No offense, but do you like fans? This dude I know has to have 15 fans in his case, lol. I need to get a picture of it. It sounds more like a blow drier than a computer.;)
    edited July 2006
    obsessed with fans...perhaps not...obssessed with modding my comp...perhaps...so the SLI is more or less a hit or miss thing right now... or so it seems, so I am probably going to go with the OCZ if i need to change my PSU..btw, more at "fan configuration again" in the case physics section.. i modded mine a smidge and might do a lil more
    edited July 2006
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    obsessed with fans...perhaps not...obssessed with modding my comp...perhaps...so the SLI is more or less a hit or miss thing right now... or so it seems, so I am probably going to go with the OCZ if i need to change my PSU..btw, more at "fan configuration again" in the case physics section.. i modded mine a smidge and might do a lil more

cool. I was going to mod my computer at one time, but it is an old junker case, so it has a coat of blue paint, and a couple windows. nothing more. I left a message on the other thread about the moddin though.
    edited July 2006
    I have a Pentium D dual core processor and I am planing on getting a Gigabyte 775 Intel 945PL Express Dual DDR; SATA2; GbLAN; (x16) PCIE; 2PCIE; 3 PCI Motherboard. And I will get Dual 1GB Memory.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Which Pentium D? 820, 830..920,930..805? Also, what power supply unit have you selected? The PSU selection is just as important as the motherboard. And the processor - will you be overclocking? If so, what heatsink/fan will you use.

Yes, yes, I know we are picky and have a hundred questions for you. We just want to ensure you have a good performing system and that will be stable for the long run.
    edited July 2006
    i hoestly look at the comp like a human body, everything needs to be good in order for it to work correctly..but i would say that spending more money on a psu and downgrading ur cpu would be something you might keep in mind... but that's just my opinion...coming from someone who has realized the flaws of a bad psu