Internal Card Reader Help!

edited July 2006 in Hardware
I just purchased an internal card reader for my Dell Dimension E510. I have it all set in the drive slot, but cannot find anywhere to plug it in. Im kind of embarassed to ask this as I know my way around computers pretty well and expected a USB header to be available for this and it seems there is not one. I also looked for motherboard-header adapter cables and couldn't find any. Can anyone help?

HERE is the one I bought.

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2006
    That looks like the kind that just plugs into the USB pins on the motherboard. Its the same pins for USB headers like you were mentioning.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    So, are you saying there are no pin sets (headers) on the motherboard that correspond to the USB connector in the picture (circled in red)?
  • edited July 2006
    correct. I see absolutely nothing to plug this into. Perhaps there is no plug in for it? Can anyone link me to the adaptor cable I need?

EDIT:I was reading around and confirmed there is no USB header on this motherboard.:doh:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I've never heard of a USB adapter of that type. Best I can tell you is try Internet searches. If you/we can't find one, one may just have to return your card read and purchase an external USB card reader.
    edited July 2006
    sje0123 wrote:
    EDIT:I was reading around and confirmed there is no USB header on this motherboard.:doh:
    Must be pretty old then - thats too bad.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    For $16 you can get an internal PCI card like this which will solve your problem. It also includes two 1394 Ports which will come in handy if you ever need to connect a camera, etc.

Make sure you have a free PCI slot first. ;)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    yup, that is what you are going to have to do. How old is the mobo, if it a fairly new one, I am surprised it doesnt have at least one header.
  • edited July 2006
    Its a brand new Dell I bought maybe 2-3 months ago. So who knows.

I would need something exactly like THIS but with 9 pins instead of just 5. I have looked around and seen nothing. I guess i'll just have to go with one of the PCI cards like shown.
    edited July 2006
    I found this. According to that, theres no USB header on the motherboard :scratch:
  • edited July 2006
    I found this. According to that, theres no USB header on the motherboard :scratch:

Yeah that's where i read about buying the adapter cable and running it out to a USB Port.

I just went ahead and bought the PCI card linked earlier in the thread. Thanks for the help guys.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    no, you dont have to snake it out through the case, that card has two usb headers on it. just plug it in there. Simple as that.
  • edited July 2006
    no, you dont have to snake it out through the case, that card has two usb headers on it. just plug it in there. Simple as that.

Yeah now that i bought the card i dont. had i found the adapter i would have had to.