Opteron 170 OC

OperatorOperator England
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys, first post.:Rocker:
Ive been reading through the site and come to he conclusion that an opteron would be my best bet for the best OCing results.
So I bought an Opteron 170 --CCBWE 0551UPMW--
I will continue to post pictures of the build and post my OC benchmarks. Im hoping for at least 2800Mhz, that seems the average for this CPU.

One thing that is bugging me is that i have not yet bought a mainboard or ram.
Im looking at the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe SLI X16 as when using SLI, both cards run at 16x bandwidth. But have read somewhere on this site that the A8N32 is not overclocking friendly, is this true?
And the RAM i wanna get is 1GB Corsair XMS3200Pro 400Mhz but have read in review on newegg that some RAM isnt compatible with the A8N32 board.
Anyone got got any 939 mainboard and ram combos they can recomend for overclocking my Opteron 170?

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I won't recommend my a8r-mvp or anything by asusux. Good luck!

If you're unsuccessful with getting up to 2800 I might suggest a burn-in. Only cause I have that stepping and they're known to top out at about 2640ish. Doesn't mean that's all you'll get though.

Again ...good luck!
  • OperatorOperator England
    edited July 2006
    Cheers csimon, i think ill go with the DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-D with 1GB Corsair XMS3200Pro.
    I have an amazing zalman aero flower cpu cooler which should aid my 2800 quest, so hopefully with a burn in.... there will be no problems.
    I read all of primesuspects build and oc thread, cant wait to do the same...

ps what do you guys think of DFI's nVidia nTune they include on their boards?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    ps what do you guys think of DFI's nVidia nTune they include on their boards?
    Just do it hte good old fasioned way!

Also, just go with an Nvidia 7950 card and forget SLI. Then you won't need to worry about the 16 vs 32 lane SLi arguement. For OC'ing boards I have built on both DFI (all the UT Lp series Nf4 Ultra/ SLI) and Asus (K8N SLI Premium) and they bothe wrk well.
    edited July 2006
    The DFI boards are very advanced and have an endless list of bios options, I was looking at the MSI K8N SLI-FI. Anyone used this board?

Mt_goat, i like the idea, but they are way too expensive, as im trying to construction a budget rig Im gonna get an XFX GeForce 7600GT XXX 256MB, and next payday, (3 Weeks) maybe get another one, probably not though.
    Im starting to order the parts now, so maybe a couple of day, ill have some build info and photos up.
    edited July 2006
    save for a 7800 gt at least!
    edited July 2006
    oh ok ill take a look now
    edited July 2006
    XFX GeForce 7900GT SLI eXTreme Edition is GBP 200, is it really that much better than the 7600?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yeah.
    edited July 2006
    Operator wrote:
    XFX GeForce 7900GT SLI eXTreme Edition is GBP 200, is it really that much better than the 7600?
    Not even close! The 7900GT is in a whole different class than the 7600. Do not buy overclocked 7900GT cards though as they have been extremely problematic.
    The DFI boards are very advanced and have an endless list of bios options, I was looking at the MSI K8N SLI-FI. Anyone used this board?
    MSI boards are not good overclock bords!
    edited July 2006
    well its all ordered now apart from the cpu cooler, which is coming later in the week. Most of it should be with me tomorrow though!!

Finally decided on:

DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI-D
    XFX GeForce 7900GT SLI eXTreme Edition
    Zalman Aero Flower
    Enermax Liberty 500W
    ThermalTake Tsunami
    200 GB IDE HDD
    OCZ Platinum Series 2GB DDR Dual Channel Kit

Ill post next when i start the build... stay tuned and thanks for the input so far!
    edited July 2006
    BTW mt_goat i didnt notice your post till after i ordered the video card, oh well ill wait and hope that there is no problem with my 7800 gt
    edited July 2006
    Operator wrote:
    BTW mt_goat i didnt notice your post till after i ordered the video card, oh well ill wait and hope that there is no problem with my 7800 gt
    Did you order the 7800 or the 7900? The 7800's aren't any trouble.
    edited July 2006
    Its a 7900 GT, i ordered just before I saw mt_goats post, here the link if it helps...

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=13889&GroupID=1455

Do you mean its unstable when overclocking the HHT, or its just plain unstable no matter what you do?
    edited July 2006
    Not sure ...try XFX online and see if they have a forum ...that should tell it all!
    I saw a few complaints at the eVga forum but I didn't pay much attention. Sorry I couldn't be any more help than that.
    edited July 2006
    You may actually be safe with the XFX card. Querry Sledgehammer70 for more details as he is our resident graphics guy.
    edited July 2006
    There is hope for me then!
    I must say I thought that XFX were the best for overclocked and upgraded cards, oh well Ill find out for sure soon!
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    If I may ask, why an IDE Hard-Drive?
    edited July 2006
    Its just a quick fix till I can afford some raptors, my mate said he'd buy it off me when im ready to upgrade, it only cost like 40 GBP.
    edited July 2006
    OK, I just got in from work and i've already started the build, thought you might like a couple of photos.
    DSC00188.jpg
    My beautiful Emermax Liberty 500 watt, sorry bout the bad quality photo, I'm using my phone... with macro and they still come out like this?!?!?

DSC00187.jpg
    The case so far, PSU, HDD, DVD-ROM, FDD all in in 15 mins thanks to thermaltakes sweet installation clips for the drives.

Im gonna continue now, and post some more pics in abit.
    You can see more photos here
    edited July 2006
    nice ...keep those pics coming!
    edited July 2006
    Ok, a couple of questions,
    What, in the name of all things good and true is this?
    VVV
    DSC00192.jpg
    :honoes:
    At first I thought it was a medievil torture device, but then thought it might be a tool for for a heatsink bracket....? It came with the DFI mainboard, anyone know?

2nd question.....
    Is there a chasis alarm conection on the DFI mobo? My case doors alarm basically.

DSC00193.jpg

This took me a bit longer, because thermaltake decided to short me 1 mobo spacer and a screw. So I nicked one from my old rig!
    Ram, Mobo now installed.

More pics here
    edited July 2006
    Right well thats all I can do till my processor gets here from America, should be here in 3-4 days.
    BTW i bought this from a guy in Washington DC off eBay, he claimed it was a gem chip and was capable of speeds up to 3014 Mhz! But I looked around for my stepping, and its one of the worst overclockers. So I eMailed the guy and told him, he said that hes telling the truth. Well we'll see in a couple of days when it arrives.
    And when it does, its oc time!!
    edited July 2006
    What, in the name of all things good and true is this?
    That is a PLCC extraction tool. It is used for removing The type of BIOS chip found on your board. DFI includes them on their SLI boards fo moving the jumpers between the two PCIe16x slots, which are for the SLI feature.
    edited July 2006
    Cheers mountain goat
    edited July 2006
    Quick update guys, i will have recieved everything by wednesday next week, postage of opteron is delayed from the US.
    Please check back then when ill definately be up and running.

Cheers
    edited July 2006
    Hey all, I now have the processor and now im just awaiting the heatsink and artic silver.
    Just spent a good few minutes cleaning the processor as the person who sold it to me stuck a sticker on it leaving a residue of c**p on it!
    edited July 2006
    Operator wrote:
    Hey all, I now have the processor and now im just awaiting the heatsink and artic silver.
    Just spent a good few minutes cleaning the processor as the person who sold it to me stuck a sticker on it leaving a residue of c**p on it!
    Good God man! We say crap on here all the time. :cheers:
    edited July 2006
    LOL, ok CRAP!!!!
    Ive got all the pieces to my puzzle now, I have put everything together, works fine botted into windows, just downloading me the latest 3d mark for some testing.
    PS does anyone have any cable tidying tips, my case looks like a monsoon of cables, im worried about airflow. Can i run some under the motherboard with our it affecting the CPU temp and wont the wires melt?
    edited July 2006
    i use zip ties ...cheap and gets the job done.
    edited July 2006
    Common sense and creative manuvering are all I can really suggest. Everyone has their own methods. Glad to hear it is up and running! :D It's alive!