Opteron 170 OC

2»

Comments

• OperatorOperator England
    edited July 2006
    OK, first bump, MBM5!! I install the bugger, choose my board, it loads up but with readings of 0, -1 & -70, now im no expert but thats freezing so im presuming there is a problem!
    I think its my board choice, I selected DFI/ Lanparty NF2/ All revisions.
    This is the only option that is close to my board and it does say all revisions. Is it me or is it MBM5.
    Ive tried selecting another board but get the same readings.
    Is there a setting in the bios that disables MBM5 getting the temps?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    why mbm5? you can disable the temp readings in mbm5 I think.
    edited July 2006
    Did a bit a dfi-street research, apparently the nf3/4 arent supported by mbm anymore, however a group of guys released a 'patch' which ive just installed and it works a treat!!
    Just overclocking now, im at 210 Bus x10, with a 2/3 mem divisor. I might go up to 230 on my next jump... im getting a max load temp of 35 on my chip at the moment with occt
    edited July 2006
    I just noticed in my task manager, that occt is only 50% of the cpu resources, but on the occt gui, it says im using 99.8%. Is this correct?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    You need to try running prime95 on both cores the see what it says for CPU useage. If it is only running one thing then it will only be 50%.
    edited July 2006
    right then, so ive only been toruring one core? At the moment Im at 2600 Mhz and it wont really go any higher, it become unstable. Will results be different if i test 2 at the same time?
    BTW i got a 3dMark03 score of 18285, and a 3dmark06 of 4798.

I have some concerns atm.
    1> My cpu load temp is 38/39 which is fine, but my mobo temp max load is 52.
    2> My vCore fluctuates a little, eg. ill set it to 1.4 but itll read on mbm5 1.38, i know that its ok .02 either way but its constantly lower than what i set it as.

csimon, is it possible that you can post your ooverclock table, so as to give me a guideline, i might be able to use it to get more out of my processor, thanks
    edited July 2006
    52 is way too high IMO.

As for overclock what I do is get the cpu to boot at lets say 2600 ...at it's lowest possible vcore. Then I torture it for anywhere from 8 to 24 hours. After that I raise the overclock again and again. Somewhere along the line I have to raise the vcore and keep going until I cant go anymore. Then I start over and usually I can get a lower vcore at the same frequency.

What are you using for the torture test?
    edited July 2006
    :bigggrin: Cheers csimon, i will try lowering the vcore, and see if its still stable, ill fiddle with it...
    Im running two instances of prime95 now aftering figuring out that occt only does one core! lol
    BTW the mobo temp is 46 not 52, sorry my mistake, the PWMIC is 52, thats the psu voltage regulator right?
    Is 46 still too high, why is it higher than the cpu temp, doesnt make any sense! I think it might be because I increaces my chipset voltage. I might try and decrease it a bit, see it i can maintain stability.
    When I started using 2 instances of prime, my cpu temp shot up too 43 max load, better start being careful!!
    :bigggrin:
    edited July 2006
    No it makes no sense really. Be sure your case is properly ventilated.
    Have you tried sp2004(stress prime)?
    edited July 2006
    Hello everyone, sorry for the delay in updates, im all flustered with this new rig, but its worth it!

UPDATE

Im currently stable at
    2700 (x10)
    VCORE 1.45
    HHT 2160 Mhz (x4)
    MEMORY CLOCK 180 Mhz

Temps are as follows,
    CPU temp = 47 max load
    PWMIC = 60 max load
    NFI chiipset = 44 max load

I know the temps are high, but the cpu is more than safe at under 50, the pwmic can apparently stay stable at 68 degrees according to a guy at dfi-street and the chipset is ok at that temp.
    One thing with my chipset fan is that it sits directly under the rear of my graphics card ( I will get a whole load of pictures up tomoz). I was wondering if the the air flow to the fan is being hindered by this.

Next payday, im getting a few more things.
    sata II hd, 200gb (selling my current one)
    19 inch tft dvi-d, (although currently im running my rig on a 32inch hd lcd screen through component at 1191x 668. All i can say is battlefield 2 looks better accross 32inchs!!)

Ive run 3d mark 03, 05, 06 at 2600 mhz, and scored fairly well on them all, will post final scores when i complete the overclock. For some reason the cpu test on 06 jumps like hell and goes about 1 frame per second. Is this normal?

Thanks for staying with me on this and for all your help so far. Ill update again tomorrow with a whole load of pictures, along with the 32 inch bf2!!
    Cant wait to start folding @ home, and give something back cheers guys!
    edited July 2006
    Operator wrote:
    Hello everyone, sorry for the delay in updates, im all flustered with this new rig, but its worth it!

UPDATE

Im currently stable at
    2700 (x10)
    VCORE 1.45
    HHT 2160 Mhz (x4)
    MEMORY CLOCK 180 Mhz

Temps are as follows,
    CPU temp = 47 max load
    PWMIC = 60 max load
    NFI chiipset = 44 max load

I know the temps are high, but the cpu is more than safe at under 50, the pwmic can apparently stay stable at 68 degrees according to a guy at dfi-street and the chipset is ok at that temp.
    One thing with my chipset fan is that it sits directly under the rear of my graphics card ( I will get a whole load of pictures up tomoz). I was wondering if the the air flow to the fan is being hindered by this.

Next payday, im getting a few more things.
    sata II hd, 200gb (selling my current one)
    19 inch tft dvi-d, (although currently im running my rig on a 32inch hd lcd screen through component at 1191x 668. All i can say is battlefield 2 looks better accross 32inchs!!)

Ive run 3d mark 03, 05, 06 at 2600 mhz, and scored fairly well on them all, will post final scores when i complete the overclock. For some reason the cpu test on 06 jumps like hell and goes about 1 frame per second. Is this normal?

Thanks for staying with me on this and for all your help so far. Ill update again tomorrow with a whole load of pictures, along with the 32 inch bf2!!
    Cant wait to start folding @ home, and give something back cheers guys!
    You may want to go lower (3x) on the ht ...there is no speed difference and it will help you if you want to go farther on the oc.
    I highly recommend f@h 24/7. If will keep the cpu at 100% and help the torture for the long run IMO.
    Which stepping did you get? Looks to me like you got the 75w which you can probably get to 2800 with burn in. In time your temps should go lower with adequate ventilation of the case.
    edited July 2006
    I think ill leave it at 2700, im more than happy with near fx60 speeds and dont want to risk my processor as the temps are really edging on caution.

My stepping is CCBWE 0551UPMW same as your simon, so i might just be lucky...
    Pictures to follow shortly.........
    edited July 2006
    For that stepping that is damn good mate! I think I've seen that this stepping is good for 2700 air and 2750 water ...max. I'll look to be sure.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    It appears that you may need better case ventilation as your PWMIC temp is quite high. Try using zip ties and attaching a fan over your mosfets and NB.
    edited July 2006
    Ok here are the pictures...
    DSC00194.jpg

Here are more pictures of the rig although the cables have not been tidied up yet!

I was concerned yesterday about the graphics card being sat right on top of the chipset fan here is the picture
    DSC00196.jpg

Is this a problem? Can I move the graphics card to the next slot with out any problems?

Mt_Goat, yeah i know its high, my cables as you can see are a real mess ATM so i will get round to organising them tomorrow. Hopefully this should should improve airflow through my case and cool it down a little!!
    I will start the first memory test tonight. See what I can get out of my ram.
    edited July 2006
    you shouldn't have any problems with the graphics over the nb cooler.

Also, burn-in is supposed to help temps ...by allowing you to use a lower voltage to get the same frequency. I worked for me but it doesn't work for everyone.
    edited July 2006
    OK, im in a bad mood tonight, so here is a hot headed update!!

Why oh WHY did dfi install a northbridge fan right under the path of my graphics card? I mean come on these guys surely must have known this when designing these boards!!!

I have done a temperary fix on my mosfets, i bluetaced a small fan stradling the thrree mosfet heatsinks, its decreased the pwmic temp by 13 degrees. Ill post a pic tomoz.
    For some reason, i decided to go up to 2750, no post just frooze of bios setup, so when i reverted back to 2700 it did the same?!?!?!?
    So i took it down to 2650, no probs, then bumped it bac up to 2700 and works fine now...
    I might try again tomoz, now that my pwmic temp has dropped considerably!!
    Can any of you suggest a more permenant way of securing my fan to the heatsinks?
    I also cleaned up the case wiring, and although the temp hasnt changed, it looks nicer!
    Any ideas are welcome as to the fan, cheers