Opty170 or AM2 X2 4200+

digitaltreedigitaltree Suffern, NY
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hey, guys. I've tried to decide and finally decided to default to the infinite knowledge of Short Media experts. I'm getting ready to build a new computer, but am having trouble deciding on which CPU to use. I'm planning a complete water-cooled system and some overclocking, so I was looking at using the Opty170. But since the AM2 line has come out, I am also looking at the X2 4200+. It's faster, but the L2 is only half the size of the Opty. Which one should I use?

Comments

• edited July 2006
    Hey, guys. I've tried to decide and finally decided to default to the infinite knowledge of Short Media experts. I'm getting ready to build a new computer, but am having trouble deciding on which CPU to use. I'm planning a complete water-cooled system and some overclocking, so I was looking at using the Opty170. But since the AM2 line has come out, I am also looking at the X2 4200+. It's faster, but the L2 is only half the size of the Opty. Which one should I use?

If you are building from scratch, then I would say for you to go with AM2, in a month or so. The reason I say AM2 is that if you are starting from scratch, you might as well go with a platform that has a chance of future upgradability to K8L. The cache difference makes a 3-8% difference in some apps, but the increased clock speed should compensate. Also, I seem to have heard that the AM2 DC procs seem to overclock pretty darn well too.

The reason I say wait a month or so is because Intel will be introducing Conroe late in July. It looks like Conroe will be a sure fire winniner of a design so far too. But even if you don't want to go Intel, there will be a sizable price reduction in both AMD processors and also Intel netburst procs after Conroe comes out, so it would be worth your while to wait.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I was in the same position as you last week.. AM2 or Opteron?

My only choice now is the new Conroe CPUs. Similarly priced (If not cheaper), 25% faster, and far more future-proof than either of the AMD cores. Plus they overclock like crazy.
  • digitaltreedigitaltree Suffern, NY
    edited July 2006
    I was planning on buying the components at the beginning of August, anyway, so thanks for the advice. It's only $18 more for me to go with the AM2 setup, so I guess that's what I'll do.
    edited July 2006
    I'm serious when I say buy a Conroe. At the date you're going to be buying, you're going to get 25% less performance with AMD than you could for the same price if you buy Intel.

/me cringes as he types.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    I'm serious when I say buy a Conroe. At the date you're going to be buying, you're going to get 25% less performance with AMD than you could for the same price if you buy Intel.

* Thrax cringes as he types.
    Take this as very solid advice from the resident Intel hater himself!!! ;) (Thrax has spent years discouraging people from buying Intell.) (He is 1000% correct in what he says! :bawling:
    edited July 2006
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    Take this as very solid advice from the resident Intel hater himself!!! ;) (Thrax has spent years discouraging people from buying Intell.) (He is 1000% correct in what he says! :bawling:

I'm a fairly avid Intel-hater myself. What's AMD supposed to come out with against Conroe, though? If they have something planned, wouldn't it be better to stick with the AM2 platform and hope to upgrade later? I've been in Iraq the past seven months, so I'm a little out of the loop with everything.:confused2
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Welcome home from Iraq!

So far there are no leaks as to anything coming from AMD very soon. I'm sure they will have somethng sooner or later but it doesn't look like it will be for a while. Right now the M2 boards are built on Nvidia NF4 and NF5 with some VIA out there as well. The NF4 isn't able to take full advantage of the new platform but just transitioned over to M2 from 939 just to crank out some boards. NF5 isn't reall a good chipset right now. And VIA is just plain bad, period! So to buy an M2 board right now would be tossing money in the can.

The problem with starting out fresh with a 939 system right now is that it uses DDR memory and everything new is on DDR-2. So any DDR memory purchased now would be money wasted unless you were willing to keep the system for a while and be happy with it. But this is where Conroe comes in and spanks 939's butt and wipes it too! So a Conroe system would have the same amount of lose if you were to switch to an M2 system later on.
  • edited July 2006
    Thrax wrote:

* Thrax cringes as he types.

digitaltree, when you see Thrax posting something like this, you have to know that Conroe will be a kick-ass processor. Thrax is about as big an AMD fan as they come and even he has to admit that Intel is basically whipping AMD's butt with Conroe. And I agree with him 100% about this too. Everything I've seen about Conroe says that it will perform better than AM2 that sotock clocks, have similar or lower power requirements and will overclock like a banshee. I plan to transition to Conroe later this year, along with DDR2 and PCI-e video. I just got a great deal on a case for the build here in the DD&TP to make it a watercooled system with.

EDIT: The only downside I've seen for Conroe so far is that the motherboards that support Conroe that are available right now are kind of pricey. But there should be many more choices out there once Conroe is officially launched on July 23.
    edited July 2006
    Like Thrax, I'm quite the AMD fan as well, so I don't really know much about Intel. What socket type is Conroe supposed to be on, and what chipsets do they use? If I was going to do AM2 I would use the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe mobo with the nF 590 chipset.

I've heard that Intel doesn't want to support SLI with Conroe, but supports Crossfire, instead. Is this true? Is there any reason I should use ATI? In addition to AMD, I'm partial to nVidia, as well.
    edited July 2006
    Intel made a very smart move with their new Conroe-based CPUS, in that they're on the same LGA775 packaging that all their new Pentium 4s run on. Some of today's LGA775 boards will be able to accept the Conroe with just a BIOS upgrade. MackanzOCZ, a member of this forum and I had a great chance to chat in person regarding boards, chips and future technology, and he has some inside knowledge on what's going on in the industry; he said that the newest revision of the Intel BadAxe board, which is their best and brightest LGA775 board, can take a Conroe right out of the box and blow AMD away.

As for SLI/CF support, that's much, much harder to determine. Consider the nVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2; it's less than the cost of 2x 7900GT(X) by a huge margin, yet as two cards in a single slot, it's an SLI solution that doesn't care if you've got a CPU company that supports Crossfire or SLI. :) That's the route I'll be taking myself.. It's very future-proof.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2006
    Yep, it is certainly a good time to wait. I would definitely wait the extra 30-60 days and then make the decision. Conroe is going to be an amazing platform--there is no doubt about it. I have also heard from reputable sources that there will be some other 'surprises' in the desktop AMD segment before 2006 is out.

Definitely a good time to wait ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    My only choice now is the new Conroe CPUs. Similarly priced (If not cheaper), 25% faster, and far more future-proof than either of the AMD cores. Plus they overclock like crazy.
    Thrax, although I've never counted you as less than objective (well, maybe just 7-8% less than objective :wink: ), this is a shocker coming from you!
    edited July 2006
    I am pretty objective when it comes to technology. I've waffled so many times on video cards it's ridiculous. When I use to rail on Intel, I acknowledged they had the speed crown, but my arguments were on the atrocious manner in which they achieved it. I, like everyone else, just want the best for my money.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Thrax has done quite a lot of things the past week actually. Turned around and actually became interested in what Intel is offering, and on top of that, and much more important, i actually saw him drinking beer.

Seriously, digitaltree. Get a 6600 Conroe when they come out and a DFI board. They are supposed to have 2 versions coming out. A infinity and a lanparty where the Lanparty is the very expensive one. The current best board that works with Conroe is the Intel S775 "Badaxe", but it must be a rev. 304. Be prepared to shell out $200 for a good Conroe board, but i believe that it is well worth it in the end.

As always, they guys in this Forum knows a lot of these things and their advices are always great.
    edited July 2006
    So, if I go with Conroe and get a 7950GX2, how difficult will it be to water cool both GPUs? I was planning on using Koolance waterblocks.
  • edited July 2006
    From looking at the design of the 7950GX2 that I've seen posted on the web, it looks to like it might be a challenge to watercool it. But Conroe should be very overclockable and easy to cool with present day waterbocks. It puts out far less heat than Intel' netburst DC procs and even less than most of AMD's DC processors.

And Mack, I've read of some decent overclocking of Conroe with the Asus P5W HD Dlx board. There's been a few twitches with it so far (biggest I read about was a 450 fsb limit right now with the early bios) but it's bench numbers are looking better than the BadAxe at the same speed.
    edited July 2006
    I hear that Conroe will be released on or around July 14, so since I'm planning to order my parts at the end of July, I guess I'll go with that.

Just a question, though, does anybody know what socket type AMD's K8L Deerhound is supposed to be using when it's released?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Im guessing AM2.
  • edited July 2006
    Im guessing AM2.

That's what I've gathered too, but who knows whether today's AM2 mobo's will be able to run K8L. I remember back with the transition from Tbird to the AXP Palomino procs where a bunch of Tbird boards couldn't make the transition to AXP due to motherboard design changes needed, even though they were using the exact same chipsets.
    edited July 2006
    Yeah, bummer. Same thing with Intel systems. Unfortunately, none of my dual core Intel-chipset boards will work with Conroe. Apparently, only the newest revision 965 and 975X Intel chipsets will work with Conroe. NVidia has a chipset also, but that's really second class for Intel dual core.
    edited July 2006
    Yeh, intel is a little worse on the chipset thing than amd, but I guess we will have to wait and see. I'm not buying a computer until next august or so, before I depart for college. So hopefully, all the new technology will be out, and settled down before then.
    edited July 2006
    No, AMD is very far behind Intel on the chipset front.
    edited July 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    No, AMD is very far behind Intel on the chipset front.

I meant intel switches chipsets so often, that you have to make sure you get the right chipset for your processor. intel is ahead of amd with the chipsets being up to date, I can agree with that, but at least I can pick up any 939 mobo, and put any 939 processor in it, not the case for lga775.
    edited July 2006
    I meant intel switches chipsets so often...
    Not so much anymore. The LGA 775 processors' motherboards have been stabilized for about the sime time frame as the AMD 939. The LGA 775 Intel chipsets have included 945, 955, 975X, and 965. For the most part, those are evolutionary chipsets, not revolutionary, as most later Prescotts, D8 and D9 series processors are compatible with any of those chipsets. Intel started cleaning up their act concerning chipset changes about 18 months ago. AMD's competition has caused Intel reorient themself as they might never have otherwise done. The Intel of 2003-2005 is quite different now - more open, more innovative, and more competitive...

thanks to AMD.
    edited July 2006
    Good ol' competition, its good for everyone.
    edited July 2006
    Good ol' competition, its good for everyone.

Yeah, and I'm glad the competition is finally back so that the procs get this much better.

Has anybody seen the NF590-SLI Intel Edition? It's supposed to support Conroe and SLI. I'm hoping these boards come out with Conroe!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I disagree Thrax... I give Intel only 6 to 7 months leap ahead and than AM2's socket will have a better performing chip. In the long run the AM2 chip will outlast the Intel offering...and with the wispers of deep dark Conroe Killers I will stand by my word in saying...

AM2 will out perform the Conroe in the long run :)

To note the FX 62 wasn't made to be a conroe killer it was made to bring over the FX line to the DDR2 platform. same with the X2 CPU's we see today. they all outperform Intels Pent 4 lines in which they were made for. Intel is showing off some great CPU's and will have the market for a short time, But AMD's first quad cores will hit the market in less than a years time and will slide right into a AM2 socket... I don't think AMD is sitting on the side lines like Intel did over the years.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Just a question, though, does anybody know what socket type AMD's K8L Deerhound is supposed to be using when it's released?

AM2 is the slated socket! but all things can change :)
    edited July 2006
    AM2 is the slated socket! but all things can change :)

That's good. I was hearing rumors of it going to an AM3 socket, which would be horrible! Hopefully AMD sticks with the AM2 socket for a while and keeps things progressing on that socket.
    edited July 2006
    I disagree Thrax... I give Intel only 6 to 7 months leap ahead and than AM2's socket will have a better performing chip. In the long run the AM2 chip will outlast the Intel offering...and with the wispers of deep dark Conroe Killers I will stand by my word in saying...

AM2 will out perform the Conroe in the long run :)

To note the FX 62 wasn't made to be a conroe killer it was made to bring over the FX line to the DDR2 platform. same with the X2 CPU's we see today. they all outperform Intels Pent 4 lines in which they were made for. Intel is showing off some great CPU's and will have the market for a short time, But AMD's first quad cores will hit the market in less than a years time and will slide right into a AM2 socket... I don't think AMD is sitting on the side lines like Intel did over the years.

You do know that Kentsfield, Intel's quad-core Conroe chip is already being sampled, right? AMD lost this round, and 1 year down the line is another round. You're kibitzing.

//Further editing:

LGA775 is to Intel what AM2 is to AMD. The difference being that Intel got to the future-stable socket first, but AMD got to the performance. Now Intel is going to have both, and AMD is going to have to play catch up. This is a position that AMD can't terribly afford any more.