Best Athlon XP 3200+ heatsink cooler?

HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Give me some ideas guys..
I'm looking for a top notch CPU cooler for an Athlon XP 3200+.
Gonna try a little OC'ing. Not anything radical.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I'd recommend a Thermalright XP-90 or XP-120.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I'd recommend a Thermalright XP-90 or XP-120.
    Don't think they are socket A are they?
    edited July 2006
    Oops. Sorry. I can't keep my heatsinks straight these days!

Try the SI-97, or if you can't find it, an SLK-948 or even SLK-900A should work just fine.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Got a couple SLK 900's. They worked well on my XP 2000+, XP 2400+, XP2800+.
    But my 3200+ runs a little warm with it.
    Was looking for something that will be a little cooler so I can OC it a little.
    edited July 2006
    You'll probably need a good heatpipe cooler for that, and the SI-97 fits the bill, if you can find them. The downside is that the 3200+ is not typically a very overclockable chip.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    You'll probably need a good heatpipe cooler for that, and the SI-97 fits the bill, if you can find them. The downside is that the 3200+ is not typically a very overclockable chip.
    I've got an Athlon XP 2800+ running @ 2273.9 MHz, FSB 206.7, Bus speed 413.4.
    Could get higher if heat wasn't an obstacle. But it's very stable there.
    That's all I'm looking to do with the 3200+, a little oommpph added on.
  • edited July 2006
    If you can find them, the Thermalright SP97 were a good heatpipe design that looked fairly similar to the SLK900A series and performed best with a higher cfm, high pressure fan such as a focused flow Delta or Vantec Tornado. The SLK800-U and the SLK947-U perform very similarly to the SLK900A series, as they are basically the same heatsink except for the way they mount. As for presently available heatsinks, I'm pretty sure the Thermaltake Big Typhoon will mount on socket A if your mobo has the holes around the socket. And it should be very capable of handling any heat from your XP3200 too, as they do a good job on even the dual core intel netburst furnaces. The only drawback is price; it will set you back about 50 bones.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Lookin at this one.. http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-big-typhoon-hsf.html
    This thing really moves some air. A silent 120mm Thermaltake Big Typhoon fan pushes 54.4CFM at an almost inaudible 16dBA!
    Probably going to hide half my mobo! But it will be cool & quiet.
    Think I'll try one. Thnx guys for all the input.
  • edited July 2006
    Yes, that is the heatsink I'm talking about, Hawk. A great hsf, even if it is a Thermaltake design. ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Hawk, you might want to take a look at this high-end heatsink comparison. It features the Scythe Ninja and the Thermaltake Typhoon.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Yes, that is the heatsink I'm talking about, Hawk. A great hsf, even if it is a Thermaltake design. ;)
    Yes, I kinda stopped using their heatsinks for a while. Trying to quiet the systems down some. Their fans were usually on the upper end of loud.
    This one seems like a pretty good design.
    Leonardo wrote:
    Hawk, you might want to take a look at this high-end heatsink comparison. It features the Scythe Ninja and the Thermaltake Typhoon.
    Yepper Thnx Leo, Read that when it was posted.. It was very good reading. I think I may try the Ninja here pretty soon. I'm always looking to try out different heatsink setups for comparison on temps. And with 7 pc's after I finish this latest one, I have plenty of cpu's to try them out on.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    im currently in the same situation. im getting an xp 3200+ this week, and im gonna try to squeeze some more out of it.

nice thread
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I am not sure that top of the line air cooling on an XP series CPU will give much of any more overclocking capability than simply a good, medium performance heatsink, such as the Thermalright SL/K series or Zalman 7000/7700. The XPs do not put out a lot of waste heat, neither do they usually have an abundance of overclocking headroom.