Raid 0 corrupt Help!

edited July 2006 in Hardware
I just installed winxp home Sp2 on raid 0. (nf7-s v2). all working until I decided to remove the drives and put some different ones in, wuth a different os on. I did what I needed to do, and then plygged my new raid 0 disks in , couldn't remember what order they were in, so jyst tried it. now nothing will load, just get isapnp.sys is missing error message. i've tried swapping the disks around, but nothing works. the recovery console does not work on the disk either. all files return access denied.

how can I repair this raid? i'm still unsure what order the disks were in.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I assume you were using the onboard RAID rather than a propper RAID card which means you can't transfer your RAID to another machine...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    well, let me tell you what happend to me in the past.

i had a raid 0 with 4 drives back in the day.

one day, the raid decided to "crap" out, basicly the bios on the raid controller decided that "there was no raid here".

this is what i did...

1- left the drives the same order they were
    2- deleted the array (its gonna most likely warn you about losing data)
    3- recreated the array (its gonna most likely warn you about losing data)
    4- installed the OS on a diff drive , do not touch the new array u created, dont write to it, dont edit it, dont touch it ;), DO NOT partition the array or format is during the install, leave it as is. it shouldnt be assigned with a drive letter.
    5- once the OS comes up, DO NOT partition the array or format is, leave it as is. it shouldnt be assigned with a drive letter.
    6- i ran a data recovery software and retrieved every single data.

worste that can happen is you lose your data :(
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Raid 0 corrupt
    That's the most elegant summary of RAID 0 I've seen. RAID 0 should only be used if the user has a backup of all important data on the array. And yes, I definitely am speaking form extensive experience with RAID 0. I will never run RAID again unless I use the mirroring configuration.

Sorry, I know that's not what you were looking for. After rebuilding or hopefully, recovering your array and its data, start using a backup drive or reconifuger for RAID mirroring. "0+1"?
  • edited July 2006
    b¥*#°cks!
    critixmeta, what data recovery aoftware did you use?
    Anyone else recommend any for this problem?
    I had just copied about 150gig of very important stuff in to it. <cough, no backup>

thank the lord i've got web access to short-media on my phone!

all help appreciated
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    I'm a broken record on this subject...

TestDisk :wave:
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    i honestly dont remember, there are so many, i remember some scanned and found more than others.

very important that the software ur gonna use, needs to be able to scan an HDD not only partition (since u wont have one on the newly built raid array)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    yeh, thats what I want to run, is raid 10, or raid 0+1. Although, raid 5 looks so similar, I cant figure out what differentiates it from the 2, although, some people tell me raid 5 is slow.

They all use 4 drives, and they all stripe in groups and mirror the two groups, it is just the order/way they stripe mirror the data.

The way I think, Raid 10 mirrors 2 groups of 2, and then stipes them. Raid 0+1 stipes 2 groups of 2, and then mirrors the two stripes. Raid 5 im not to sure what it does.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Somtimes on those SI controllers on the NF7-S boards you can put the drives in the same location and rebuild the array. Caution: This is an all or nothing method!
  • edited July 2006
    Thanks everyone. After an illegally fast drive to spinners house, to make use of the excessive quantities of computer equipment he has, we tested out several options raid0 recovery software which needs you to seperate the drives and take a image of both of them (2 extre 200GB drives) that took about 6 hours only to discover we then needed an extra 400GB drive for the software to re compile the image, before it copies it back over to a newly created raid on my original disks - crazy (we didn't have a 400GB drive spare)

So then I tried Profdlps suggestion of TestDisk - FANTASTIC - sorted the whole thing out straight away.
    WinXP booted up fine after that

However there are still serious problems, boot failures, chkdsk is having a field day - I will continue this in the storage forums, as its less of an emergency now I have test disk!

continued here: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?p=405532