heatsink for p4

edited July 2006 in Hardware
hi. I own a p4 3.00 Ghz and with the intel box cooler I get a 52 c temperature while idle and over 60 c on load with the fan at 3500-4000 rpm. I want to by a heatsink cooler that will allow for a lower fan speed (around 2000rpm) in order to get a quiter system while keeping my cpu in healthy temperatures. I am thinking of bying "Gigabyte G-Power Pro" do you think this cooler will satisfy my
expectations? do you have anything else to recommend.For me priority is low noise levels.
thanks in advance.

Comments

• WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    well, you can get the big typhoon, and then put a vantec stealth on it...I'm not too sure if everyone would be on board with this suggestion though considering that it only has 53cfm, but it would provide a lot of cooling, and 120mm fans will cool sufficently without a lot of noise, there is also the scythe ninja...that could be utilized as a passive hs without a fan, but you could ass on a 120 vantec stealth on that without a doubt, but im not 100% sure, more like 80% wait for a second oppinnion
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2006
    The TT Big Typhoon is a great cooler. You could combine it with something like this.

Manufacturer Specifications:

Fan Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 25mm
    Fan Input: 12V
    Fan Speed: 1400 RPM +/- 15%
    Air Flow: 72CFM
    Noise Level: 14 dBA
    3pin and 4pin Connector

Also using a compound like AS5 will benefit greatly in bringing temps down.

What will have a great bearing on it is your case size, etc. No use buying ANY after market cooling if it is not going to fit.

Prior to buying ANYTHING, i google reviews on items of interest. It is amazing what can be found out.

Jon
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Do you know which model of P4 3.0GHz you have? There have been P4s for several years now, ranging from cool running to virtually furnaces, such as the "Prescott" series.
    edited July 2006
    also, what do u consider quiet and loud...some people find it acceptable to have a delta fan in their comp, some feel that something around 30dBa is intolerable.
    edited July 2006
    Wuggsie, I don't know why you would recommend a Vantec stealth for the Typhoon. The stock Thermaltake fan that is bundled with the Typhoon is so quiet you can't hear it unless your ear is literally five or six inches from it. And unless you are extreme overclocking with Intel D8xx series CPUs, the quiet TT fan on the Typhoon is sufficient.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    That's what I was about to say. The big typhoon stock fan is basically silent! :D
    edited July 2006
    touche in that case, and I was reccommending it because I have personally used it and it works quite well and runs to damn near silent..other than that, I have no personal experience with the big typhoon fan and how loud it is..but I have heard a lot of jazz about it...and I will stand by my original thoughts about it... "you can't go wrong with a cooler that has the words big and typhoon in the title"
    edited July 2006
    The whole point was that he would not need to pay for a fan separately, as the Typhoon package includes an excellent one...unless you have overclocked Smithfield flamethrowers as I do. In such a case, your fan recommendation would make perfect sense.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2006
    I would also recommend the Big Typhoon. BTW what does your case cooling look like? The reason I ask it seems your temps are a little high. I do have a Pentium D805 (heater) running with the factory HSF, and under full load I 've seen max 52c for temps. (that was on an 80f+ day)

I's in a Coolermaster Centurion case with 120mm fans and a duct for the cpu cooler (to draw fresh outside air). all I can hear out of that rig is the flow of air.

I guess what I'm babbleing about ( hey I'm on my first cup of coffee), is your case has a large effect on how quiet and cool your pc runs.

FWIW, I have the BT on another D805 (oc'ed) and my psu fan is louder.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Donut is on to something. If your internal case temps are high, the CPU cooler can't be as efficient in removing heat, because the heat would go to an already hot case.
  • edited July 2006
    ok thanks for the replys.

model: prescott 530j.
    case cooling:80mm fan at the rear (also tryed one in the front but took it of as it wasnt helping at all). dont know what to do to improve that.
    And i guess what i consider quiet is around 20dbs

I see everyone is recommending big typhoon but i m not sure. This heatsink is huge and heavy and I dont know how good that will be for the mb. Also the heatsink that i m talking about (gigabyte G-power )seems to be able to achieve better temperatures(from some reviews i read) and is also che
    apier. Big typhoon seems to be more silent thought.
    edited July 2006
    Honestly, the Big Typhoon is not a whole lot larger, and it can be found for around $50 these days. I think it's probably a better cooler, not to mention quieter than the G-power.

I think you're being crippled by the 80MM fan at the rear. That's just not enough heat removal, especially if the case cutouts for the fan are restrictive to airflow.
  • edited July 2006
    so what would you suggest for better heat removal in the case
    edited July 2006
    You want easy or hard? Easy, is buy a new case with a 120MM exhaust fan and large vent holes. Hard is what I would do (to save money) is cut out a hole to accommodate as large an exhaust fan as you can (preferably a 120MM fan) and install one with a chrome fan grille (they're less restrictive than stamped metal case openings and most of the aluminum designer fan grilles).
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2006
    Heat rises, so....if you have room, perhaps you could put a fan in the top of your case. Possibilities are endless.
    edited July 2006
    OK, I'll pile on. The posters before me are correct. Your case (no offense) is a real wheezer. It's just not designed for a high power system. You've got to get air flowing through it better.

Don't be discouraged. If you can't afford a case upgrade, no worries. I'm sure you can find a way to modify your case so it "breathes" better. Get the airflow right, and you might find that the stock CPU cooler is just fine.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2006
    If you want a quick check, although I strongly feel case cooling is your problem, check your temps with the side of the case removed.