Question about modstream's fan

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Hardware
I was curiious about how many cfms the 120mm fan on the 600w modstream pushes. I tried to look at your website, but I keep getting a blank page which is apparently done.
THANKS!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    but I keep getting a blank page which is apparently done
    Server power supply unit went down. It overheated.

I'll take a stab, based only on other PSUs with large fans that I've used - 37cfm max.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    37cfm?!?! my lord... that seems like its almost a waste of a 120mm fan... my vantec stealth apparently pushes 73 cfm..looks liek i might add another 120mm blowhole on the top of my case :)
    edited July 2006
    37 was my ballpark estimation. Most PSUs push very low volumes of air, usually just enough to keep them within safe operating temperatures.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    We only do a 520W Modstream, but we do a 600W Powerstream. Please check which model you use.
    edited July 2006
    then you should go and yell at newegg mack because they have a 620w modstream advertised on their site, but when you buy it it says 520 on the invoice..ohwell at any rate, do you have any fan specs for me Senor OCZ?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    then you should go and yell at newegg mack because they have a 620w modstream advertised on their site, but when you buy it it says 520 on the invoice..ohwell at any rate, do you have any fan specs for me Senor OCZ?
    They have it advertised right....I will see if the office has specs on the fan.
    edited July 2006
    Wug,

Newegg has never had a powersupply called 600W Modstream as far as i know. Your psu does 620W peak, yes, but that doesn't mean it's called 600W Modstream. We'll check the fan specs for you.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I have one running right now and I can tell you that it doesn't push alot. My guesstimate would be 20's cfm or lower. Like any other PSU fan. The thing about it is that it's 120mm and the rear grill doesn't obstruct it. Silent too. I'm pretty content with it.
    edited July 2006
    The PSUs with large fans are not designed to improve case ventilation, but merely to cool the PSU with a minimum of sound. Some will though, have an excess volume of airflow that will contribute to case cooling, but that's just a bonus, not a planned feature.
    edited July 2006
    btw, sorry for the incorrect posts dudes.. I totally blanked out, I remember seeing something on newegg at around 600w for a modstream, but i meant the 620w. But at any rate. If i attached a 80mm fan to the back of the PSU using zip ties, would it void my warrenty. I wouldnt want to do anything to comprimise it.

btw, thank you for the help and sorry for all the confusion

and just to make sure, newegg has it labeled corectly, 620w modstream
    edited July 2006
    If you opened the PSU, removed an integral fan and spliced in a replacement, yes, that would void the warranty. If you merely added a fan externally, without opening the PSU, I don't see how that could affect the warranty.
    edited July 2006
    Leo is Correct.

PS: We don't have a 620W either :P
    edited July 2006
    so the 520w that you sell more or less means that it will handle 520w sustained, but it ha a max of 620w correct?

btw, thanks for all the help guys!