Computer Won't Stay On

edited July 2006 in Hardware
I was in the middle of playing a low-end game when the computer just turned off. I tried turning it back on, but sometimes the power will just flicker, sometimes it will allow me to log in to windows and sometimes it just won't do anything. The room is cool and probably in the mid to lower 60's (F). The computer isn't getting hot (not getting the time to get hot) and nothing was installed recently (hardware or software). Does anyone having any clue what this could be?

SPECS:

3.4GHz Pentium 4
1GB DDR400
Nvidia 6800GT
1x40GB 7200RPM HDD
1x80GB 7200RPM HDD
1x160GB 7200RPM HDD

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Bad power supply or dirty power from the wall. Do you have a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)?
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited July 2006
    I've also seen that symptom from those bad capacitors that were out there a couple years ago. I don't know the age of your motherboard but if you look at the capacitors, see if any of them are domed or leaking. They should all look like little silos with flat tops.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    sound power related.
    When you have the case open give everything a good cleaning. Make sure that the memory is seated and that all fan connections are tight.
    Things can (and do) work loose.
  • edited July 2006
    I believe I'm using the DFI 865PE-TAG Socket T found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136156

I was just able to use the computer for about 2 hours before shutting off again. One thing I always worried about was the power supply. Its only about a 400W power supply. And my computer has quite a bit in it:

Pentium 4 3.4GHz HT enable
    2x512MB DDR400
    Nvidia 6800GT
    Turtle Beach Catalina 7.1 Channel sound card
    1x40GB 7200RPM HDD
    1x80GB 7200RPM HDD
    1x160GB 7200RPM HDD
    1xDVDRW
    17in lcd moniter
    1xFloppy Drive
    3x120mm fans
    2x90mm fans on ps
    1xpci fan

After running that for about 2 years on such a small PS, could that somehow cause any problems?
  • edited July 2006
    What brand is the psu?

bikerboy
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Bikerboy is opening the most appropriate troubleshooting line. Please give us your PSU brand, model, and list of voltage lines (found on the label on the side of the PSU). Wanna bet you've got good quality, good performance components mated to a mediocre or failing power supply?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    What brand is the psu?
    Bikerboy is opening the most appropriate troubleshooting line. Please give us your PSU brand, model, and list of voltage lines (found on the label on the side of the PSU). Wanna bet you've got good quality, good performance components mated to a mediocre or failing power supply?
    BINGO!!!
  • edited July 2006
    its power related, i think