Need specialized SATA controller

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Hardware
I'm looking for a PCI SATA controller that can support ATAPI devices, is four channels, and is NOT made by promise.

It's complicated, but this is what one of my clients is looking for. If anybody can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it :D

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Something like this?
    Support hot-swap and automatically rebuild mirror array
    Easy-to-use GUI-based software for monitoring and storagemanagement
    Support ACPI and ATA/ATAPI-6 UDMA mode or PIO Modes
    Support HDD greater than 137GB
    System GUI Monitoring Utility
    Displays/Logs/Alerts Users to Vital RAID Set Information
    Manages RAID Set Functions (configures, rebuilds, etc.)
    RAID Set Accommodates Multiple Size HDDs
    Function Normally When Not in RAID Sets
    Adjustable Stripe Size for RAID 0
    Automatically Selects Highest Available Transfer Speed for All ATA and ATAPI Devices
    Upgradable flash BIOS
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yeah, something like that. I'll let the client know.

Thanks!

:D
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Not really that complicated. ATAPI on SATA should be becoming more common to phase out IDE entirely (ATAPI is things like CD/DVD drives, Zip drives etc) 4 ports would be a pretty standard requirement and I'm sure someone other than Promise makes them, so yeah, hopefully there will be lots more in the future.
    edited July 2006
    The problem comes with the specialized equipment they're using - they are DVD duplicators that use eight 16xDVD burners (plextor) and they are SATA. They need two controllers per machinel, and for some weird reason the promise controllers they are using refuse to work side by side. If two promise controllers are in the system, neither will work. This company has been using multiple promise controllers in their systems in the past, it's just something unique with their SATA cards that is causing a freakout.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Good point. Wow, think about it, how many hundreds of millions of CD/DVD ATAPI drives are out there, and will still be out there years from now. I know I won't be replacing my optical drives just because SATA is the newer interface.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    have they tried to use different PCI slots...also perhaps they could turn off the irqs for the serial ports/parallel ports... i remember with one of my odler boards, the kt7a-raid, a tbird mobo by abit I had to turn off some irqs in order to get my sound to work properly.. perhaps you should try those two solutions before buying anything new
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    LOL. Ho noes! I remember that - all the delicate configurations we had to try to get the cards to play ball with each other on the PCI bus/IRQ allotments.

Supposedly IRQ allotment problems are a thing of the past, that newer motherboards don't have those problems.
    edited July 2006
    no, believe me, we've tried all the motherboard voodoo. These are high end systems - dual opterons, etc. They need to be very powerful to push eight 5gb disk images simultaneously.