GeIL getting no respect?

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited July 2006 in Hardware
I'm doing all I can to get ready to oc my cpu, and I noticed that my memory manufacturer, GEiL, is not mentioned/known as good memory for overclocking.
I was just wondering if GeIL is no good for overclocking, or if it just gets overlooked since it's not the biggest memory manufacturer around.
Here is the link to what I have.
Thanks in advance for the help :)

(PS: I ran memtest on it, and it passed all of the tests. I need to run it for a longer period though, I just ran it long enough for it to pass all of the tests once.)

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Be very careful with Newegg customers' reviews. As often as not, customers who post there only vaguely know what they are talking about, especially when it comes to computer tweaking or high performance systems. I've seenincredible loads of :bs: in the Newegg item reviews.

Concerning the DRAM you linked: it is good quality memory, but is not overclocking material, per se. Most "value" RAM will perform exactly as specified by its manufacturer but won't usually exceed the rated performance. For overclocking, you generally need higher performance memory that will either exceed it's rated specifications or that is already rated higher than the memory bus to which it will be installed, such as PC4000 installed in a PC3200-specified motherboard.

Geil makes several grades of memory in both DDR and DDR2 lines. Although I'm not aware of overclockers using Geil, I'm sure some of their RAM would overclock just fine. Keep in mind though, that with most modern "tweakers" motherboards, you can overclock the CPU frequencies independent of the memory. That way you can overclock but still enjoy the great cost savings of using 'value' RAM.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Giel makes some good ram, I've considered buying some of thier higher end stuff in the past, I've read many good reviews on their goods. But Value Ram is as Leo mentioned.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited July 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Be very careful with Newegg customers' reviews. As often as not, customers who post there only vaguely know what they are talking about, especially when it comes to computer tweaking or high performance systems. I've seenincredible loads of :bs: in the Newegg item reviews.

Yeah, I don't pay much attention to newegg reviews either.

Thanks for the info. I bought the ram over a year ago when I had no interest in overclocking. I'm going to try to overclock with this ram anyway, and hopefully it'll all work out.
    I <3 short media :respect:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    It can work out ok if you set dividers and such ...focus on the cpu strengths and you'll do well. My muskin doesn't oc well but it doesn't stop me a bit!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    When you start overclocking, consider opening a new thread under "Performance Tweaking." Make sure to post your system specifications so that we can help you.

BTW, Newegg can actually be very helpful, as long as you can sort out the clueless customers from the experienced ones.
  • edited July 2006
    I have a friend that has some Geil ram and it's decent stuff. And I know that they have made some good overclocking TCCD based 512 MB sticks in the past. But I have no experience with the ram you have, so I can't tell you how well it overclocks.

As for my ram choices, I generally stick with ram from Corsair, OCZ and Crucial, although I haven't bought any Crucial lately. And my 2 GB kit for my main rig was from Mushkin; the Redline XP4000 kit. With the first 3 companies, I know that I will get good support from them through past experience with RMA's. And that counts a lot in helping me choose my ram choices. I'm not saying that Geil or Patriot or other ram manufacturers have bad support; just that I have no experience with them.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited July 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    When you start overclocking, consider opening a new thread under "Performance Tweaking." Make sure to post your system specifications so that we can help you.
    All right, will do. :thumbsup: