Heatsink for overclocking 3000+

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited July 2006 in Hardware
I'm getting ready to overclock my 3000+, and I'm doing all I can to keep the cpu cool.
Right now I'm using the factory heatsink and fan with arctic silver 5 thermal paste, and under 100% load for a few hours my cpu gets to about 35 degrees celcius.
I thought that temperature was a good sign that overclocking would be safe, but many of my friends think that I should not stick with the factory heatsink and fan.
I don't know much about heatsinks and such, so that's why I came here. :respect:
Can somebody give me some tips on heatsink brands, materials, types, or whatever else there is?
Thanks a bunch.

PS: It's a socket 939 cpu (if that matters)

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    and under 100% load for a few hours my cpu gets to about 35 degrees celcius.
    If that's as high (low) as your CPU gets under load, you may not need to change heatsinks.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2006
    IMO, overclocking with the stock sink is fine as long as temps are UNDER CONTROL! You could do some further reading in the Overclocking section and see what others are running. I personally haven't tried a 939 cpu yet.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited July 2006
    all right guys, thanks a bunch

btw, I did a bit of reading on heatsinks, and it seems that the thermaltake big typhoon is pretty popular. I was wondering how big it is inside the case. If it's not too huge, I might get it just to be safe.
    If anybody has a picture of it inside a case to share, I'd appreciate it very much :smiles:

[Edit]: I really like the thermaltake blue orb II, but some reviews make it sound like A) it's too big and might cover up a ram slot, or B) it does not improve performance that much, if at all.
    unless the big typhoon is not-so-big, maybe I'll just stick to what I have after all :tongue:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    The Typhoon is huge, but excellent both in thermal effectiveness and near silent running. If your case is deep, it should not be a problem. You need to go to Thermaltake's site and get the dimensions, then compare that to your case's interior. If I recall correctly, from the base of the Typhoon to the top of the mounted fan it's eight inches.

Other top of the line coolers are the Scythe Ninja, Zalman CNPS 9500, and the Thermalright SI-120. There are others as well, the ones I've named are the ones that I know of that have been on the market for quite a while and have proven themselves.