cant reinstall XP

wirenutwirenut Texas
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Help. I have a sotec laptop 2.2 ghz processor pentium 3, {manufacturer no longer exist.}computer came with 3 installation disk xp Home edition.I booted computer,blue screen came up,saying windows has been shut down to protect your computer. lots of boot up errors, sys.32 corrupt etc.Son reformated useing c/format,I tried to reinstall xp from my disk,Error 0004:Recovery Failure please contact manufacturer. tryed to install xp from new xp disk home edition, Setup is loading files,stops at file dmboot.sys is corrupted press any key to continue.Reboots same error.tried to install windows 98 se.Window startup menu,start windows setup from cd rom,loads files, welcome to setup,pess any key to continue,setup is prepareing to install windows,computer crashes.Tried start with c d rom support,loads files, A:\> comes up, change to D:\, Type D:\> window setup, computer Makes a Short beep,screen goes blank, computer is still on? How much will it cost me to take to computer Doctor ? This has been a super computer for 5 years. A..You need to make sure your hard drive is recognized by the BIOS. Go in the BIOS find the primary master or IDE Channel 0 in Standard CMOS Features. If it shows the drive set it to auto, then hit enter. Hit escape to exit to main screen, hit F10 say yes and hit enter. Also make sure your BIOS is set to CD as 1st boot device. Then you need to wipe the drive insert the CD and reboot. Make sure the hard drive is formatted in NTFS. Wirenut...checked bios.primary master set to auto,BIOS is set to CD as 1st boot device,RAM is OK tried to wipe the drive computer beeped then shut off?? A....Download and create this Boot Disk Set for XP. this set will require six floppy disks. Wirenut....Laptop does not have floppy drive. downloaded the ULTIMATE BOOT CD VER 3.4 http://www.ultimatebootcd.com It has lots of tools,did not help. tried to install xp professional, set up stop and says iastor.sys , pci.sys is corrupted now what? LAPTOP mite make a good boat anchor??? A...Research tends to suggest a HDD or ram failure... did you try memtest or you could try the BARTPE http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ which gives you a live xp cd although with limited functionality. Wirenut..Icant do much with BARTPE,as it is for XP,Iam on 98SE now,different P C. I used fdisk on 98SE SET UP DISK deleted Partitions and Create Primary DOS Partition and use the maximum available size for primary DOS partition.Do you wish to enable large disk support (Y.Set active partition , A:\ format C:\ dont work,Bad command
NOTE: If you receive a "Bad command or file name" message, you may need to extract the Format.com utility to your Startup disk. To do this, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
extract ebd.cab format.com,Cant read file,Can you Help: WIRENUT..

Comments

• wirenutwirenut Texas
    edited July 2006
    Short-Media Forums ; Maybe I forgot this part?
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited July 2006
    The CD set or the optical drive are going to be culprit, but I am willing to guess the CDs are unreadable. If you think about the errors regarding corruption that you are getting, they are basically read errors that windows setup will give pointing to a bad disk. There is the possibility of many other things, but I would look in that direction for the time being. HD next...
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Is it me or does the initial post make very, very little sense? Seriously, what the hell?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Is it me or does the initial post make very, very little sense? Seriously, what the hell?
    It's not just you. ;)

wirenut, as near as I can figure it out, you have listed your problem and what appears to be a list of suggestions from others which you may or may not have tried. It would help us help you if you gave us a more concise description of your problem. :)
  • wirenutwirenut Texas
    edited July 2006
    ok i cant seem to format the drive so i can put xp on the drive. both disk [xp,and 98se disk] i am useing can be read by my other computer with 98se on it. i have the laptop harddrive out now,trying to find the right cable so i can put it in desktop and see if i can see it and maybe format it?setting it to slave may slow me down,someone said something about a usb conection,any ideals?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Setting the drive to slave will not appreciably slow it down. It will be much faster configured as a slave on and cable and port than connected via USB or USB 2.0.

That would be a logical next step: format the drive completely, thoroughly on another machine, re-install it in the laptop, and try WinXP installation again.