AM2 kit for Big Typhoon

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Is there such a thing? I've spent some time on google to no avail. They have a "mini typhoon" with the option for AM2 support, but I have a $50 cooler sitting here doing nothing since I can't mount it on my AM2 board :(

All I need is a different set of mounting plates :bawling:

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    It doesn't appear to me that they have such a creature at this time either. As I see it you have three options:

1. Wait and see if a kit comes out for using the Big Typhoon on AM2.
    2. Mod the beast and make it fit on the AM2 socket holes (risky but potentially rewarding - this could have good article value on the front page ;)).
    3. Sell it and get something AM2 compatible.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    i say go for "3"
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    You should be able to sell the Typhoon for within $10 of what you paid for it. They are in demand. I sold one for nearly what I paid for it.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2006
    It is unfortunate that a lot of the screw-though HSF models can not be used on the AM2 socket. I don't think there is any type of adapter available for it.

On the positive side, I'd say that the AM2 retention system is superior to the 754/939 socket. 4-way bolt systems are a huge improvement over the predecessor.
  • edited July 2006
    Not having held an AM2 mobo in my hands, I really don't know for sure, but I would think it wouldn't be too hard to make a mounting plate to adapt it or to mod one of the present mounts to fit AM2. But it's your call, Prime.

Also, do the hrm mounting holes match any other socket's spacing, likesocket 478 or socket 775? If they do, then you could simply use the mounting hardware for the spacers that would work for you.
    edited July 2006
    prime, rubber band it and get it done with :D
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Can't you drill 4 holes in the plate that comes with it?

This could be done as well.

socketam2adaptor_3.jpg
    edited July 2006
    YES!

... then use some rubberband? :(
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    rubberband for what?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2006
    citrixmeta wrote:
    ... then use some rubberband? :(

LOL.. (or duct tape) must be a canadian thing) :D
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    ill make a mounting plate. :tongue2:
  • edited July 2006
    I saw a review of a new version of the BT that uses a new mounting method for A64 that utilizes the HRm for both AM2 or socket 754/939/940. It clips to the center tabs on the HRM. Hopefully Thermaltake will sell this new mounting arm as a replacement kit for them. Even if you don't go AM2 it looks like it would be much easier to mount the beast with than the original mounting system.

Here's a link to the review. Look on page 3 and they show it mounted to a socket AM2 board.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    gah! All I need is that little center piece with the lever on the end! I wish I could reach through the monitor and grab that part! :werr:
  • edited July 2006
    Yeah, doesn't that look much easier to mount with than the old hardware, even on socket 939?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2006
    I know I'm a little late, Have you tried to contact Thermaltake directly? I don't see the option now, but a couple of months ago I was able to buy a new gasket,backing plate kit for my BT directly from them.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    damn it dude why do you have to live so far away? ide come over with a dremel and a piece of plexi and have it goin in a hour.

this kind of stuff bugs the heck out of me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Three hours is "far"? :D

Tell that to Marcus who came from NORWAY :p
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thanks for taking your time in search of a solution, Wuggs, but the Typhoon heatsinks are Thermaltake, not Thermalright.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    oh i knew it was a different brand...HOWVER..i figured all u needed was some type of adapter..and the way mac's drawing was looked like it just needed something to act like some sort of base...and who knows...its quite possibler that this adapter could be used for the big typhoon...stranger things have happened
    but leo you are right...it is made for a different company