Buying an LCD

edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hello SM. :)

The thing is, after building my computer I never got around to getting a new monitor and was looking into buying a 19" lcd. However, after reading reading reviews such as "buyer beware" and "russian roulette" and "7 dead pixles, i gambled and lost" and "good monitor, bad dvi port placing", I am just not exactly sure who I should be going with. Can someone recommend a brand/model for me? I am already one foot in, I just need a little push is all. Thanks.

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    While it's a 17'', I use and highly recommend Samsung's SyncMaster 730B, their 19'' 930B should work perfectly for you. I'm a heavy gamer and cannot notice any ghosting (I shouldn't ...thing's got 8ms I'm pretty sure.) The only regret I have about this monitor is that I didn't spring for the 19'' version of it. :bigggrin: By now the model numbers are probably different with the latest models, but I can't imagine the build quality changing one bit.

Hard|Ocp loves a Hyundai monitor...90+ I think is the model number.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    If you are springing for a 19", why not step it up to a widescreen. The difference in physical screen area is almost none with a 20" widescreen.

with a 19" 4:3 monitor, the screen area is ~173.28 Square Inches, with a 20" 16:9 monitor, the screen area is ~170.8338 square inches.

But depending on what you are doing with it, I think they are so much better because you get more workspace, not to mention watch movies without the letterboxes.
  • edited July 2006
    I guess getting a widescreen couldnt hurt. Unless there is some downside to it?
  • edited July 2006
    Also, I imagine dead pixels would be very annoying. The first LCD I bought, which I am still using has no dead pixels, but I can imagine a couple pixels dead center of the monitor would really suck. And also you can't do anything about them unless there are atleast 8 on your monitor? Is there atleast a way to create more dead pixels so you can have it RMA'd?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    My work monitor here has a single dead pixel, not in the direct center, but middle region. It's red on bright areas and the darker the image it just fades away.

Oddly enough, I don't see it right now they must have moved the screens around. It's a dell screen, I haven't seen too many screens with dead pixels that couldn't be fixed with a little rub. My Dell 2005FPW had one.. rubbed itfirst with the edge of a peice of paper and it went away and has not returned.

Damn, forgive my bad grammar... my IQ drops when I am at work or something. :P
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    what is your budget?
  • edited July 2006
    Probably something like $200 or close
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    And also you can't do anything about them unless there are atleast 8 on your monitor?
    No that is not correct. That is Newegg's policy for returns. With Newegg 8 dead pixels will constitute a defective monitor, but any fewer than that and the monitor is considered in working order.

Other vendors, online and physical stores, will have their own policies.

You aren't going to find a 19" LCD for $200 unless you are really lucky. The best I've seen, pricewise, are around $239 after mail-in rebates and before tax.

BTW, CompUSA and BestBuy often have competitive prices on monitors. I would prefer to buy purchase locally, but use online vendors for price comparisons. A monitor return is so much easier if it's a local store. A local store is also less likely to quibble about dead pixels - you can just start up the monitor in the store and let the technicians see it.
  • edited July 2006
    I bought my Sceptre NAGA 3 20" widescreen for $250 after rebate. :) I’ll write a review on it in another week or two, since I want to submit something a little more substantial than I would without having a little time to live with it first.

It has one dead pixel though, on the far left side about 2 inches from the edge. To be honest it's almost impossible to see unless you're looking at a very dark image, and looking for it. In fact, the stabilization wires' shadows on my old Trinitron monitor were far more noticeable and easy to find- and they’re an accepted design flaw.
  • edited July 2006
    Thanks for the advice guys, let me know if someone has any other recommendations or anything else to add. Oh, and I have no problem going above exactly $200, I was just saying in that price range.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    kang, I hate to say this, but check out the reviews on tomsharware.com
    They do a great job on LCD reviews. They actrually measure the contrast, collor accuracy, image uniformaty and response time. On the last item, every pannel out there is three to four times slower than the advertised number. The one that is advertised is the fastest transition.

Pick out a few that interest you and go to the store with a movie or game capture and watch them. Play with the adjustments and everything.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited July 2006
    I have a hyvision 17''. This company seems generic to me, but it's a nice moniter. only 2 dead pixels when I got it off to the edge and it's a 6ms monitor for about $169. Might have been on sale. Can't remember, but just check out newegg and use the comparison feature.
    edited July 2006
    Yeh, companies play with the response time numbers, but still, as long as there is no ghosting, then no worries right?
    edited July 2006
    How much are you looking to spend?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    xxkkangxx wrote:
    ...However, after reading reading reviews such as "buyer beware" and "russian roulette" and "7 dead pixles, i gambled and lost" and "good monitor, bad dvi port placing", I am just not exactly sure who I should be going with...
    The others have made some fine specific recommendations, so I'll add this as more of a general comment.

One thing I try to keep in mind when browsing user reviews is that people are much more likely to comment when they are irked about something than when they are 100% satisfied. The guy who is constantly thinking about the couple of dead pixels is more apt to blow his stack at some point and leave a negative review. The person with a great picture is probably too busy enjoying his monitor to take the time to comment at all. For every person griping about something there are probably a hundred people who are completely happy with their purchase. :)
  • edited July 2006
    I went to tomshardware and looked around on newegg some more and I think that I am going to go with:

If not a widescreen:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116375
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116365

As far as reviews go on Newegg, the 930 doesn't seem too hot, but tomshardware swears its one of the best right now.

If a widescreen:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824254005
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009073

I am planning to check out compusa and bestbuy today so I can see these monitors in real life.
  • edited July 2006
    This is the one I ended up buying. Looks like it's well within your price range, especially after the rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112176

Again, I have no real complaints with it so far. It's a really great monitor, especially for $259.
    edited July 2006
    xxkkangxx wrote:
    I went to tomshardware and looked around on newegg some more and I think that I am going to go with:

If not a widescreen:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116375
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116365

As far as reviews go on Newegg, the 930 doesn't seem too hot, but tomshardware swears its one of the best right now.

If a widescreen:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824254005
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009073

I am planning to check out compusa and bestbuy today so I can see these monitors in real life.

I'd go with the first one or the last one.
    edited July 2006
    the 2nd widescreen LCD does not have DVI. I would avoid it. if your budget allows more than $200 i'd look for a 20" widescreen with a 1680x1050 resolution. but i am kinda partial to mine :wink:
    edited July 2006
    What kind do you have fat cat? I am looking for one. I want one that is fast, and that will reproduce colors accurately, I do a lot of work in photoshop for my schools yearbook, and work for myself, and if it goes to the press and comes back looking god awful, they will blame me; and I dont want to have to blame my monitor if it looks totally differently.

I don't necessarily need a fast monitor, but would be nice when I decide to game, and the occasion's when I watch a movie on it, hell, it I had a 20.1" wide screen, it would probably replace my tv:D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    What kind do you have fat cat?...
    Check his sig. :doh:
    edited July 2006
    What kind do you have fat cat? I am looking for one. I want one that is fast, and that will reproduce colors accurately, I do a lot of work in photoshop for my schools yearbook, and work for myself, and if it goes to the press and comes back looking god awful, they will blame me; and I dont want to have to blame my monitor if it looks totally differently.

I don't necessarily need a fast monitor, but would be nice when I decide to game, and the occasion's when I watch a movie on it, hell, it I had a 20.1" wide screen, it would probably replace my tv:D

see my sig...

dell has replaced it by the 2007FPW. i have a hard time not drooling over the new 2407WFP or 3007WFP:respect:
  • edited July 2006
    Ended up buying the ViewSonic VX922 for 250. I have it hooked up right now, and all I can say is WOW. Thanks for helping me make my decision, guys. This monitor PWNS my older lcd. :Pwned: