HELP! Blue Memory Dump Screen in XP

edited July 2006 in Hardware
Twice today my PC has froze and showed me the blue memory dump screen.:grr: On the screen it shows me "Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal". What does this mean? I have to hold the power button down in order to get my PC to fully shutdown.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    You either have a driver mistakenly making a call to a reserved section of memory, or bad RAM.

Run Memtest-86 for at least one full pass and see what you get. :)
  • edited July 2006
    I downloaded this already, but I don't know how to us it
    edited July 2006
    Extract the files, put a blank floppy disk in the drive and double-click the Install.bat file.

If you don't have a floppy drive, download the Ultimate Boot CD, make the CD, boot from it, then run it from there.
  • edited July 2006
    I finally ran memtest and it didn't find anything wrong with my memory. :mad: Since my last post I've had 4 more blue screens appear including 1 before this posting. What else could it be?
    edited July 2006
    gotdatya wrote:
    ...What else could it be?
    Since it's not the memory itself it is most likely a driver making a call to a reserved portion of your RAM. The most likely culprits in my experience are Video drivers and Network drivers. I'd try using a driver cleaner for the video drivers and then reinstall them. If that's no go, give the Network Adapter drivers a shot.
  • edited July 2006
    Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSOD for info on blue screens.

Check out *3 http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

You can open up the minidump or complete dump files with this and see if any of the info helps you. Usually scroll down to the bottom and it will say which .dll or whatever is giving you trouble. This might give you a hint as to what's causing it, and whethere reinstalling drivers or doing something different will prvents BSOD's.

I recently had massive BSOD's playing a game called EVE Online. If I had 2 or more clients open at the same time, I always got BSOD's. It turns out it was problems with my Creative sound card driver ctoss2k.dll Actually it's EVE Online's problem with enabling the sound on more than one client at the same time. I have to make sure only one client was running sound at the same time from now on.
  • edited July 2006
    The BSOD is somehow tied in with Firefox. I recently swithed to Firefox and ever since then I've been having these problems. Are there any fixes for this problem?
  • edited July 2006
    gotdatya wrote:
    The BSOD is somehow tied in with Firefox. I recently swithed to Firefox and ever since then I've been having these problems. Are there any fixes for this problem?
    I'm not sure why firefox would do this. Try a uninstall/reinstall? Have you tried downloading the Microsoft debugger and checking out the minidump? Sometimes it tells you at the bottom the possible file causing problems.

Oh and BTW, if you want the computer to automatically reboot on BSOD's: you can press windows key+pause break(system in control panel) > advanced tab > Startup And Recovery-click settings > Under system Failure- check automatically restart.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    The BSOD is somehow tied in with Firefox.
    To help us rule out causes, please connect using Internet Explorer. See if the problem is caused through that as well.
  • edited July 2006
    I've loaded the MS debugger but can't find the minidump files. The BSOD didn't start occurring until I added Firefox. But there is something else that is weird, once I loaded Firefox current websites stopped loading. They even stopped loading when I tried to us internet explorer to view them.
    edited July 2006
    Look for the minidump files here: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump.

Have you checked out our Spyware/Virus/Trojan Discussion Forum yet?
  • DeanoDeano Leicestershire, England
    edited July 2006
    i used to have this exact same problem, with a dongle connected via usb to my pc. It came up quite a few tiems, i'd say at least 10, before i figured out where i could get the driver updates from. but once i got this, it hasn't appeared once, since i updated the drivers.

;)
  • edited July 2006
    The minidump file is empty when viewed throught the debugger
  • edited July 2006
    press windows key+pause break(system in control panel) > advanced tab > Startup And Recovery-click settings > Under "Write debugging information" select Small memory dump (64kb) from the drop down menu.

Also make sure you don't have any temp file cleaners like ccleaner deleting your minidump files automatically.