Upgrade Reasoning...

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Hardware
I hear talk of upcoming processors, and how bad ass they are. But honestly, do we need them? By that I don't mean they should just stop making new processors, but in terms of upgrading with what you have. Unless you have a 2GHz P4, why upgrade?

Take my system for example, it's a A64 X2 3800+. I can overclock it 600MHz+ and not notice a difference in speed with the 6600GT I have. Granted, that tells me that my gaming is limited by the graphics card, but it still plays most games reasonably well with 2GB of normal PC3200 DDR.

So other than a video card upgrade in October(marking 1 year of no upgrades), I see no reason to upgrade to a AM2 system. Now if it were a A64 3000+, possibly, but even then it seems a bit iffy to me.

I can only see myself upgrading the CPU in maybe 3 years, possibly even 2 if enough has changed. That would make the CPU 3 to 4 years old at that point. My motherboard in 1 to 2 years, making that 2 to 3 years old, and my memory as well. I'd like to stay on the top of the line but that would mean 4x4 CPU, Quad SLI, and too much money :P

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Ah, who knows, in two or three years your computer needs (and wants) may be completely different from what they are now.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    software always drives the need for upgrading the hardware. You, being in the digital media field, will definitely want to keep on top of the hardware game because of the software - 3D, photoshop, flash, etc.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    i think enthuasists keep the market going to be honest..the need to have a better cpu just beacuase..i mean i have a 2.53ghz p4...and i am running windows vista right now..i mean true i dont do much on it other than web browsing and word documentsbut thats what the avg person uses it for
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2006
    Do we need them? Probibly not. Do we WANT them, yep.

My reasoning, more efficient f:fold: lding

Right now, my slowest rig is being used for my main rig. (2400xpm) Of course salesmen will convince Joe Six-pack he NEEDS a gazillion gigahurtz to surf the internet-faster.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    we also forget the ridicilious amount of ram that windows vista will take up... i have said this at least a dozen times on this forum...we need developers to work on efficency instead of just wasting megahertzes
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    One of the reason it takes up so much space on memory is the debugging softwares, so I am sure when it is finally released it'll be much better. I know when I first booted up it was sitting at 197MB, that being it was still going up with the software opening, so my guess ismaybe 150MB.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    we need developers to work on efficency instead of just wasting megahertzes
    It's a lofty goal, but it ain't never gonna happen. The same thing was said when '98 was developed and when XP came on the market.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Just imagine if they did make an OS like that...
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    It's a lofty goal, but it ain't never gonna happen. The same thing was said when '98 was developed and when XP came on the market.

Yeh, I have a great-uncle that used to code. He said back in those days, your code HAD to be efficient, not only for processor time, but also hd space. He says that programmers today are lazy and not very careful. Sure, it takes longer, but you are left with a snappier program.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2006
    I upgrade when I buy a new game that won't run with everything on max. Everytime I have bought the most expensive graphics card , or whatever, another one comes out a week later. It is impossible to keep up with the latest and greatest so I only upgrade when I need to. Currently that seems to be around every 12 months!