DDR500 ram

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys.
I'm interesting in buying some 1gb ddr500 ram, and I wanted to know what you all think the best ram for the buck is.
It doesn't have to be the greatest in the world, but I don't want some piece of crap either.
Thanks a bunch.
(PS: I won't be overclocking it)

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2006
    Check Newegg.comhttp://www.newegg.com/index.asp?DEPA=1

You really can't go wrong with anything listed. Are you sure you want to go with standard ddr at this stage of the game? (I did read your other thread) I mean, I see what is for sale and the list is a WHOLE lot shorter than when I bought mine over a year ago.

FWIW- I am using some Kingmax ddr500, (4-512mb sticks) they work fine for me. The only reason I'm using pc4000 ram is I needed over 200fsb at 2.5v.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    The Patriot 2X512MB kit here would probably do exactly what you want it to. It would run just as advertised and probably still be good for another 20MHz (40MHz DDR). Look around some more though. I would think you could find some for less. In addition to Short-Media, I would also check out the trading forums at PCPerspective and at Anandtech.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited July 2006
    Should I go with this one or go a little cheaper with this one?

And sorry for not responding for a while, I've been moving in these past few weeks.
    Thanks for the help.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2006
    Should I go with this one or go a little cheaper with this one?

And sorry for not responding for a while, I've been moving in these past few weeks.
    Thanks for the help.

Hi AlphaTrinity,

Just wondering why you were looking at 1GB sticks? On a dual channel platform, like 939/P4, you would benefit greatly from 2x512MB matched sticks.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited July 2006
    I figure that I can always go dual channel with two 1gb sticks someday
    I doubt it will ever happen..so maybe the dual 512 is a good idea :-/
  • edited July 2006
    How the increase in bandwith with the DDR 500
    balance against the bigger latency?
    I was looking for some DDR as well and I can get
    very good DDR 400 @ CAS 2 but all DDR 500 is cas 3. Is it any good for overclocking?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2006
    ricotipo wrote:
    How the increase in bandwith with the DDR 500
    balance against the bigger latency?
    I was looking for some DDR as well and I can get
    very good DDR 400 @ CAS 2 but all DDR 500 is cas 3. Is it any good for overclocking?

With just about all Athlon 64/Opteron systems, you'll have to increase the reference clock, which will increase your memory clock speed along with it. DDR 500 is not terribly useful unless you plan to overclock.

If you compare DDR400@ 2-2-2-5 timings, it will likely be as fast, if not faster than DDR500 @ 3-3-3-8 timings. On the other hand, DDR400 @ 2-3-3 will not be. tRP and tRCD are just as significant (if not more so) than CAS latency.

Are you using an A64 based system?
  • edited July 2006
    wrote:
    Tx, and yes it's for A64 system. DDR500 is 3-3-3-8 and DDR400 is 2-3-2-5.
    So I should buy the DDR500 which give me a little more overclocking room,right?
    I don't have much experience with memory timings and overclocking in general and it shows, eh.