edited August 2006 in Folding@Home
How do they fold?
I might be tempted......
My wife would like a quiet computer.

Give me a link

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    The regular Core Duo's that are out today fold very slow... My laptop Core Duo T2600 took a long while to push it's first few WU's... I think the Core 2 might be a bit faster they seem to own every test online right now.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I'll let you know next week. I'm replacing my Pentium D 820 with a Core Duo T2400 (1.83GHz). I've currently got 3 T2400's folding for me on both cores and they certaintly haven't hurt my PPD totals.

And those of you in front of me, I'm keeping the 820 folding...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Good Dan, but I am interested in Core 2, the new ones.
    Yes, it looks like the own everything right now.
    Let's just say that I want to see nembers.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    wouldn't you have to have 2 f@h's runing for the new duos since there are two cpu's?
    edited July 2006
    Yes, you would need 2 instances. 4 if the cpu supports HT and has it enabled.

Oops, I didn't see the 2 in Core 2 Duo.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    4 if the cpu supports HT and has it enabled.
    That would be the dual core Woodcrest Xeons and I think also the Core Duo Extreme. Concerning the latter, Intel had projected an "Extreme" being in the lineup, but don't if/when they actually will be.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    The current set do not support HT.
    The Extreme is 'gasp' multiplier unlocked.
    Of course it is also $1k

AMD had better get off their ass on 65nm and quad core.
    edited July 2006
    I know that Core Duo does not support HT, but what about dual core Woodcrest Xeon?
  • MacaholicMacaholic 1 Infinite Loop
    edited July 2006
    Ask and you shall receive. Seek and you shall find. Check fahinfo.org. I've been entering units from Meromac mini for over a month now. Just check under Intel Core 2 Duo Merom 2160MHz. Power consumption numbers you ask? OK. Here you go;

Read 'em and drool!

Merom T7400 (2.16GHz)
    - Off 01 watts
    - Boot 41 watts
    - MacOS X/Win XP only 21 watts
    - MacOS X/Win XP with 2 Folding@home CLI clients 51 watts

p2357 + p2365 = 1120.2ppd

p2357 DGromac
    TPF 00:19:02
    TPU 31:43:20

p2365 DGromac
    TPF 00:17:50
    TPU 29:43:20

Extra SSE2 boost OK. :thumbsup:
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2006
    Oh my GOD!

~FA
  • edited July 2006
    Yeah, thanks for posting that up, Macaholic. There are a couple of people who have folded a little with C2D over on the OCF folding team, but they are mainly interested in seeing how far they can push their ES Conroe's right now. I'm sure once they are released officially and some serious folding folks get them in their hands on some tunable motherboards, we will see some figures even more impressive than what Macaholic is seeing with him Merom'ed Mac Mini. It will be interesting to see what a Conroe at 3.6-3.8 with aggressive memory timings will do for points output.
    edited July 2006
    Interesting indeed. Those are some impressive numbers even now...can't wait to get a hold of a couple to mess with!

~FA
    edited July 2006
    I'm sure once they are released officially and some serious folding folks get them in their hands on some tunable motherboards...
    That would be me! Well, I can't justify that money for the next few months, as it would be new CPUs and motherboards (X3) for me, but perhaps less than a year from now, unless AMD comes up with a competitor. Not optimistic on that.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2006
    edcentric wrote:
    The Extreme is 'gasp' multiplier unlocked.
    Of course it is also $1k

AMD had better get off their ass on 65nm and quad core.

If Sally can ever stop having drama's with her comp, we could add some stats on how a dual core with HT actually performs.:rolleyes:

Hasn't run long enough to even get it folding.:(
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Jon, is there a thread somewhere about your and Sally's battle with the dual core HT system? Maybe we can lend a hand. :)
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Jon, is there a thread somewhere about your and Sally's battle with the dual core HT system? Maybe we can lend a hand. :)

G'Day Prof

No thread about this one. Due to a variety of circumstances it is taking a lot longer to get sorted than it would normally.

Appreciate the offer of assistance though. :thumbsup:

Should it be needed i do know of a brilliant / friendly forum to get help. You may have / have not heard of it, but i dont want to advertise it here in case i get into trouble for spamming.:hiding:
    edited August 2006
    my girlfriend just ordered a notebook with the core 2 duo, I think I'm more excited than her about it.
    This thing is going to be sick.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB)
    edited August 2006
    Same here! A car audio guy I work for just had me order him an XPS M2010. I put the middle level Core 2 in it (T7400 @ 2.16GHz.) Can't wait to take pics and look at those folding logs. :)

~FA
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    My buddy just won a X6800 System at a LAN up in San Jose! that freaking punk!

I am honestly thinking of picking a core 2 duo setup... but I think I will hold off until I see what AMD's 4x4 can do :)