"Windows Is Starting..." Extremely slow

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Okay, I've got a AMD Athlon 64 X2 socket AM2 4600+ with a Biostar TForce4 MB with 2GB of OCZ DDR2.

The hard drive that is in there originally was in a Athlon64 X2 (socket 939) system running Win XP SP2. Moving the hard drive originally required no windows repair install. However, windows THEN prompted me to reactivate, which I attempted, but then discovered that its not in there EULA to move an OEM copy of MSWindows off the original machine that came with it installed... so I was left with 3 days to activate the computer... I decided to use a retail copy of MS Windows XP Pro SP1 that I had (didn't really see any other option besides spending 300 for a new copy). Now the computer seems to be acting very strange. Among other random errors (sometimes firefox gives an error instead of starting)... when I start the PC it gets all the way to the point right before the log in window and says "Windows is starting" and "Preparing network connections"... sometimes it will take 5 minutes and then finally let me press CTRL+ALT+DEL to login... at one point I would press CTRL+ALT+DEL and everything would disappear (except my blue wallpaper)... and I would eventually just restart (wasn't able to login again until I repair installed it).. Also, prob. noteworthy that this PC was (and will soon be again) a member of a domain to which it not currently connected (I can see being disconnected from it's domain making the login slow after I type in my UN and PW, but before?!?.. also shouldn't cause so many other errors).. PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Is it possible that some BIOS settings need to be set.. do I need to set the /noexexecute option in boot.ini?? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I decided to use a retail copy of MS Windows XP Pro SP1

Your Windows and drivers installation is configured for motherboard chipsets and perhaps a few other devices that are not currently in your system. Steps to take:

1. remove/uninstall all motherboard chipset drivers for which you know are not needed; do the same for any devices no longer present

2. restart the computer and immediately perform and WinXP Repair installation

3. immediately install all motherboard/chipset specific drivers for the board you are currently using
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Make sure you disable the old Network connection. You can re-enable it when need be.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    jp, just blitz the whole thing and reinstall. In the end, it'll take less time.