DiamondMax10 or MaxLineIII??

sforzasforza SPAIN
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hello everyone,

it's been a long time since I wrote here, but I still think of you as the people to ask when comes to hdds :)

This is a video editing rig.

I wanted to upgrade adding another 250gb of hard drive. My motherboard has two SATA-I ports but are already used. I have a DVD burner on PATA1 and PATA2 is currently not being used.

So I decided to go the easy way and order a PATA Maxtor 16mb cache hdd.

I thought I would get a DiamondMax10, but today I got a MaxLineIII instead. I must confess I didn't even know there were a MaxLineIII series. The information I found over the internet doesn't compare them together.

Should I return the MaxLineIII and get a DiamondMax10? Which is faster?

I know SATA drives feature NCQ (Native Command Queing) to improve performance on multiple access. Is this a SATA-only feature? Is there any PATA drive with NCQ? I mean, is NCQ a SATA (meaning the bus) feature, or is it a SATA (meaning the drive) feature?

Does NCQ work on a NCQ-SATA drive plugged on a PATA port with a SATA-to-PATA adapter?

I would love to get the faster drive on the PATA port, with NCQ. Adding PCI SATA controllers is not in my mind at the moment. If this is not possible, please recommend me an alternative.

My current system specs are on my signature (I just updated it)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sforzasforza SPAIN
    edited July 2006
    Just for the record, the drive I got is a MaxLineIII 7L250R0.

I just found MaxLineIII series have 5 years of warranty. It seems they are some kind of high reliable series.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I just found MaxLineIII series have 5 years of warranty.
    In my mind, that would be the deciding argument!
  • sforzasforza SPAIN
    edited August 2006
    Thank you for the reply, I'm keeping it.

Sorry for the big delay to reply, I've been in Germany.

It's PATA but I'm happy with the performance.

Any advice to improve this benchmark please? I do video editing and I would appreciate any tip to get it faster. I always read tips to improve performance on RAID arrays, but is there any for single drives?

This is a bench of the new drive out of the box: