Suggestions for New Mobo/CPU

Jammin1911Jammin1911 Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hi all, the odd one or two of you may remember me from back in the day. I show my face (or whatever) once in a while to say hi to the old timers and post some uselessness but this time I believe I have something legit.

I did this one before and got a fantastic almost unanimous recommendation for a new mobo/cpu combo that met my needs. I don't follow the latest trends *AT ALL* anymore so I need help more than ever.

Last time I made a post like this was quite a while back and to put it in to perspective the cpu/mobo that was recommended by almost everyone was the ECS K7S5A and Athlon XP 1600+ AGOIA core.... which you guessed it .. is what I'm still running.

And it's been great to me - both proved to be solid. I'm sure you all remember these two beauties ;)

There always seems to be something thats currently an awesome bang for your buck, something just below that line in processors where the price jumps to something crazy and a budget mobo thats reliable.

I won't be overclocking or doing anything funky so here is my basic criteria in order or importance:

- Cost (duh.)
- Reliability
- DDR (not DDR2)
- IDE (IDE and SATA preferred if that even exists)
- AGP (I have an old radeon 9800 pro or so I'd like to use)

As far as the processor goes, like I said there is usually (at least back in the day) a price jump in between two processors - I'd like something reasonably fast but just most importantly bang for my buck. As long as its faster than say... a P4 2.8GHz or so (So it will be an AMD most likely heh, which is fine) I'm cool with it. I don't really play games or anything I just feel like its time for an upgrade.

Mobo needs to have onboard ethernet for sure.. onboard sound is preferred -- i cant even rememebr if my current system has a soundcard or not but I can find one somewhere for cheap probably heh.

ANYWAY... what hot right now? :)

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Questions:

1. What's your budget.
    2. Time horizon: how long do you want this system to remain unchanged before you upgrade or replace.
    3. Do you anticipate upgrading this system little by little, or will you wish to scrap it and start afresh in a given period of time?

These questions are critical, as AMD and Intel tech, especially Intel, are at a major crossroads right now. Three of the technologies you wish to keep are rapidly becoming obsolete - DDR(1), AGP video, and IDE. If you are to build a new system, you will have moderate compromises from the very start. That's OK if you aren't looking for major upgrades after this in a year's time.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Actually, you're back in the market at just the right time. Later this month, the new generation of Intel processors will be hitting the shelves. This new Intel processor core actually performs favorably against the AMD processors, and even in most cases, beats them.

This also means that AMD will be likely slashing prices drastically in the next few weeks. With that being said, can you post your general budget here?

Limiting yourself to DDR and AGP is likely going to keep you running an AMD system - probably socket 939. Are you planning to keep your existing DDR RAM? If so, it had better be PC3200 or faster, otherwise you'd be crippling the system. Most motherboards will have onboard ethernet and sound.

My recommendation for the motherboard, to keep you in line with your existing budget system, is the Asrock 939Dual-SATA2. It might sound strange, but it's the logical upgrade path for maximum value/compatibility from the old to the new generation - it supports both AGP and PCI express (for future upgrades) and has IDE and SATA2 as well. The CPU recommendation really depends on what happens to socket 939 pricing here in a few weeks when Intel's Conroe chips bowl over the market.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Hey Jammin :) Long time no see!
    edited July 2006
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I know your time line, wait three weeks. Prices are falling.
    Let's see. We can't use a Core CPU (DDR2), we don't want to use old P4s (too hot), and no screw ball chip sets.
    I really only want to suggest nF4 mobo, and AGP make that tough.
    What about the BioStar TForce4U for $75 delivered after rebate.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138270
    and then use a low end X2 CPU, after the prices drop.
    This should be good for another 1-2 years. By that time Core2 and K8 should be pase and affordable.
  • Jammin1911Jammin1911 Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Wicked thanks so much for the suggestions all :)

PS: Yah man! I hope all is well. It seems SM is still going strong which is great to see. Doesn't look like I can say the same for the 'other guys'. :)

Alright, as far as budget - I didn't really have anything specific in mind... I guess I was hoping to spend a few hundred at most.. Only $300.. $350 maybe.

Like I said, my current system is running strong and I really truly have no need for a faster one. It's just one of those things - I'm still a geek so I can't have TOO crap of a system :D

This Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 board sounds just like what I would need. It gives me some room to upgrade a bit if/when I decide to.

Good point also on the RAM - I totally forgot about that. I'll need to buy new memory I guess because I'm sure i only have PC2700 in mine .... if that.

PS - Sorry for being a cheapscate, I'm saving money for a downpayment on a house right now and just finished spending WAY TOO MUCH money on my car. Who puts a V8 in a Nissan? Only an idiot like me.

PSS - I'm still in top 100 on Team 93, how is that possible? GET TO WORK!!!
    edited July 2006
    If you buy new DDR(1) you greatly restricting what uses you will have for it in the future. Are you sure you want to put money down on new parts that will not work on future upgrades - neither Intel nor AMD?
    edited July 2006
    But wait, maybe Gnomewizzzarddd's sale is exactly what you are looking for! Small expenditure, BIG upgrade for you, quality parts, and trusted trader. (and I get a big commission! :hiding: )

just kidding on the "commission" bit :shakehead
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    But wait, maybe Gnomewizzzarddd's sale is exactly what you are looking for! Small expenditure, BIG upgrade for you, quality parts, and trusted trader. (and I get a big commission! :hiding: )

just kidding on the "commission" bit :shakehead
    That's a great idea! I would take the CPU, memory and vid card from Gnome and then get this MSI motherboard from Newegg. What are you currently using for a PSU?
    edited July 2006
    I don't get a commission from Newegg sales! :mean: Buy at Gnomewizzarrrddd's Bargain Barn! :tongue2:
    edited July 2006
    the psu I have right now is a $14 generic piece of crap 350W - I was planning on replacing it when I upgrade as I can't imagine its spitting out very clean power. ($14 CANADIAN by the way)

BTW, GW is selling some nice parts for cheap but problem is being in canada I get hit big time with duties at the border :-/

still considering it though, as they're great prices. thanks for the tips guys!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I'm not trying to cheat any national governments out of any of their [strike]stolen[/strike] "hard-earned" money, but when I send something across the border, I tend to check that little box that says "gift" on the customs form. ;)
    edited July 2006
    I receieve the odd shipment from the US for various reasons and never once has the little box that says "gift" prevented me from paying taxes and brokerages unfortunately :(

In any case, even when they do process it as a gift at the border the brokerage fees still apply.
    edited July 2006
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    That's a great idea! I would take the CPU, memory and vid card from Gnome and then get this MSI motherboard from Newegg. What are you currently using for a PSU?

Does anyone know of any other decent retailers that will ship to Canada though?

... I'll be honest, I haven't confirmed that Newegg does not ship to Canada but I know a few years back they did not. Has that changed?

Thanks!
    edited July 2006
    brokerage fees
    I have no reason to disbelieve you, but what on earth are you talking about? Are these commercial fees. I have made private trade shipments to the UK and continental Europe, and quite a number to Canada, but I've never heard of "brokerage fees". Brokerage - that's private, not government? Is it a shipper's fee?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Jammin1911 wrote:
    Does anyone know of any other decent retailers that will ship to Canada though?

... I'll be honest, I haven't confirmed that Newegg does not ship to Canada but I know a few years back they did not. Has that changed?

Thanks!
    If I knew my work schedule better I would be more than willing to help you out.