Just got some Ninja's

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Hardware
I recently ordered 2 Scythe Ninja coolers (1 for a new rig and 1 for my main rig) and am in total awe with their size. I currently have an XP-120 on my main rig and was looking at the Typhoon at Fry's so I thought I knew the meaning of 'Large Heatsink'. Boy was I in for a surprize when my package got here today. These Ninja heatsinks are totally flippin huge! The descriptions and pics don't do them justice as to just how big they really are. I mean talk about the son of Frankenstein! :eek: I got the one mounted on the Asus MB for the new buisness rig I am building and will install the other on my DFI board over the weekend. Installtion was rather simple and straight forward. I won't even need to remove the board from the case when I do the install in my system.

PS
I can thank Leonardo for my decision to get these. ;)

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Just looked at one of those... I might have to buy one to replace my loud zalman flower, as long as it cools just as well without a fan :) Trying to make my PC quieter.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I can thank Leonardo for my decision to get these.
    No problem. Without a fan, or with the fan mounted in line with your case's exhaust fan, the Ninja is no taller (measured from the base of the motherboard) than the Typhoon with a fan mounted.

RWB, give me a link to the Zalman cooler you're running and specifications of your computer and I should be able to estimate fairly closely how well the Ninja will compare running fanless. My guess without looking is that the Ninja, even without a fan, will cool your CPU better than the Zalman. But that is assuming good case ventilation. If the case exhaust fan is anemic, the hot will just recirculate around the Ninja.

But even if you choose not to go fanless, you can mount a near no-noise 120mm fan on the Ninja. It's simply a top class cooler.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I'm thinking about picking up a Ninja after the next upgrade, as well. :thumbsup:
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    i guess i must be old school or somehting...i honestly feel that if you don't hear your computer's fan...then it doesn't truly exist..its figment of your imagination... but other than that... *thumbs up* on the buy.. ive heard nothing but good things about these coolers.. can't wait for the temps to come in
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2006
    Just installed a pair of these on a dually build, put a pair on an ATX board and there isn't much visible other than the sinks. The bad part is, when I do put it into a case I'll have to remove both fans to get to the center mounting screw on the board. 35 bucks (ea.) you can't go wrong, not for the performance gained.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    isnt there like a max weight that mobos can handle? or do the mounting screws taake care of that problemo
    edited July 2006
    I've never heard of damage to a motherboard in a static machine due to the weight of a properly mounted heatsink. Moving the computer is another matter. My experience with heavy heatsinks has been that if the mounting hardware includes a backplate on the motherboard and there are four screws/posts that are inserted through the motherboard, weight is really not an issue.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/view.asp?idx=145&code=005

I believe that is the one I am using, looks exctly identical, and it's pretty huge too :P
    edited July 2006
    RWB, I am well familiar with the Zalman 7700. I've owned several of them. Both the Scythe Ninja and TT Typhoon will run rings around the 7700 and be much quieter. I would bet that the Ninja, with no fan mounted will perform at the same level as the 7700 with its fan at 100%. That statement is with the assumption that the computer case has very good ventilation and that the rear exhaust fan is 120mm.
  • edited July 2006
    Yeah, the Ninja's and BT's are great heatsinks, but I've been reading some threads at the OCF about the new Thermalright Ultra 120 heatsinks lately that make them look to be even better. Last Thread I read directly compared the Ultra 120 to a BT, with both a lower cfm fan and higher cfm fan. With the lower cfm fan, the Ultra 120 literally smoked by the BT in cooling efficiency, which I kind of guessed due to my experiences with the BT. With a higher cfm fan installed on both, the temp difference narrowed considerably, but with the Ultra 120 still maintaining a slight lead. But if you figure in the cost factor too, the Ninja is a hard one to beat.
    edited July 2006
    The Thermalright Ultra 120 looks to be a serious competitor to with the Typhoon and Ninja. I did a Google search, but could not find a review where it is compared head to head with others. I only found a little comparing it to the Zalman 9500. But that's disappointing, because the 9500 is just not in the same class.

I must resist ordering this. I'd love to update my 9500, Typhoon, and Ninja comparison piece.
  • edited July 2006
    I'll see if I can find that thread at OCF on the Utra 120 vs the BT for you, Leo.

EDIT: Here's the link to that thread, Leo.

Linky
    edited July 2006
    Thanks! Very impressive. Almost wish I hadn't seen it. :sad2:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Oh thanks Jim! :banghead: I actually came soooo close to getting one as it was the newest offering and their sinks have always been great. :shakehead The fact that it takes up a little less real estate was appealing also. I guess I will have to get one to try. Maybe I need an inexpensive Pentium D system. :rarr:

Well I have both systems running with the new sinks now and I am truely impressed with the quietness! I fired up the new board out of the case last night to test prior to installation and couldn't beleive that I couldn't really hear it. This system also has a new Silverstone ST-560 PSU which is by far the quietest PSU I have ever had. This thing is practically dead silent! It is almost tempting to get rid of my PC P&C for another new PSU.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited July 2006
    kind of ironic, the company name is scythe USA but theyre heatsinks have japanese names. katana, ninja, and samurai
    edited July 2006
    kind of ironic, the company name is scythe USA but theyre heatsinks have japanese names. katana, ninja, and samurai
    And the manufacturer is either Taiwanese or PRC Chinese.
  • edited July 2006
    Hey Larry, even though the Ultra 120 looks great, the Ninja's you have are also some really high quality heatsinks and nothing to turn your nose up at. Their wide fin spacing is what makes them so good at cooling with low cfm fans too, because they have a lot less backpressure from the fin spacing than a BT (and maybe the U-120 too, but I've not seen one of those in person yet).
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    ...(and maybe the U-120 too, but I've not seen one of those in person yet).
    But that's what mekes me want to try one. ;)
  • edited July 2006
    All I can say is to give it a go. :D