c:\windows\system32\config\system

edited July 2006 in Hardware
I've seen this problem posted here before. I get this same error that the \windows\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing! I believe it was do to an improper shut-down, running windows xp home. I can get to the recovery console, and I tried the recovery method described by a post from Tex in 2004. However based on the instructions, I get stuck. I do not have a Repair directory under c:/windows.

Is there anyway I can restore my boot drive and not lose my data by formating (as Dell suggested)? I'm not very computer savy- but I really don't want to lose all my files! Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Mr. Red, I understand your frustration, but please don't post the same message in more than one thread. I removed your other post with the identical message.

I hope someone here can help you overcome your computer problem. :smiles:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Do you have a "real" WinXP CD, or is it a Dell recovery disc?
  • edited July 2006
    It is the Dell Reinstallation CD. I can get to the recovery mode, and was told to recopy the "original" system file back to c:\windows\system32\config however all instractions have reverted to a file in c:\windows\repair - I don't have that dir on my c:? I'm stuck??