SOS: Crashed Computer (HP Pavillion 753n)

edited July 2006 in Hardware
Problem: Computer would boot. Error (summarized)
The following file is missing or corrupted: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Attempts (failed):
1. Tried reboot.
2. Used BartPE. Ran chkdsk. There were lots of unreadable segments and a lot of orphans were deleted.
3. Tried HP Recovery (destructive). It won't load. It's missing a file setupdd.sys associated with error code 4096.

Notes:
1. When I hold the F10 key, the hard drive clicks.
2. The computer been acting really slowly lately, but other than that there are no systems of any hard drive problems previously.

Please, help. I just want a working computer.
Thanks!

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Get the test program from your hard drive manufacturer and see what it says. I'd do both the quick and the full tests. Clicking drives are an ominous sign. :(
  • edited July 2006
    Thanks Prof!
    Unfortunately, the hard drive (a Seagate ST380020A) failed the Quick Functional Test from the SeaTools Desktop.
    I've checked the Seagate web site, but to double check, this means that the hard drive is gone and I can't fix it, right?

Thanks.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yes, your hard drive is on terminal status. Dead? Maybe not yet, but it will be. Stop using the hard drive immediately - data may still be salvageable.

Your computer: You'll need to purchase a new hard drive and install your operating system and other software on it fresh.

Your old hard drive: install it in an external drive and copy the data that you want (if the drive is still readable) to your new drive.

EDIT: Volarz, there's a thread going on HERE that describes how to hook up the old/dieing hard drive to a functioning machine.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Volarz wrote:
    ...Unfortunately, the hard drive (a Seagate ST380020A) failed the Quick Functional Test from the SeaTools Desktop.
    I've checked the Seagate web site, but to double check, this means that the hard drive is gone and I can't fix it, right?...
    Did the Quick test give you an error code? Most times it will just tell you that you need to run the Full test. I would follow Leo's advice about trying to backup your data before doing that, though. The longer the drive runs the lower your chances of getting the data off it. You'll probably need the error code for warranty purposes, but save that step for last.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. :(
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Hmpf, my hp drive is on the brink, I am trying to shove it off the edge, but it is hanging on for dear life, I have all the data backed up, so I am just driving it until it quits, or it goes up in smoke.
  • edited July 2006
    How long ago did you purchase this drive? Quite a few HD manufacturers are now coming out with 5 year warranty's; up from which used to be 3 years. Might be able to get it RMA'd for the price of shipping.