Raid 0 HDD Failure

LumiareLumiare Upper Marlboro, MD
edited July 2006 in Hardware
First off, lemmy point out that I will never use Raid 0 for the rest of my life, so help me.

Now that that's out of the way, let me get to my problem. I have an Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard, with 2 Maxtor SATA 160GB HDDs in Raid 0.

I tried to start my computer this morning, and I received a message akin to "Unable to load Operating System". So first I tried restarting the machine. I then recieved an "Error reading drive" message. I was getting the sneaking suspicion that I had a hard drive failure. When I restarted again, I noticed that where the Intel Raid Utility normally showed "Normal" for all the components, now for the first Maxtor drive it said "Error Occurred".

Also, I read a few other threads before posting, and ran TestDisk. But seeing as I have no idea how to work it, all I did was analyze it. During the scan, I saw a LOT of Read Errors, and when it finished I exited and it said "Log File Corrupt". I'm running it again atm, but it takes about an hour to scan.

Is there any way of me recovering my data, even if I am dealing with a Hard Drive failure?

Now allow me to add some emotes to express how I feel. :aol: :banghead: :bawling:

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    First off, lemmy point out that I will never use Raid 0 for the rest of my life, so help me.

Good! You saved me a lecture. I used RAID 0 extensively from 2000-2003 and finally saw the light (and lack of true utility for RAID 0) in day-to-day PC use. The risk-reward ratio is weighted heavily on risk.

OK, I really haven't kept up with recovery options - the precious few there are for broken arrays. The best advice, baring someone more knowledgeable posting in this thread, is to perform a "RAID 0" or "RAID" search here in the forums. I know your question has been asked here many times before.

Wish I could be more helpful. :range:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    OUCH...Raid 0 Failures are never good.

Do a search on google for something like "Raid 0 Recovery" or something like that. Chances are that you may loose a good deal of data, but recovering some or most is better than none. If the drive failed, I dont know if you will be able to get any of the data back, because the controller splits the data between the two drives afaik.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I actually had luck with Runtime's getdataback, but you will definitely have to pay for it.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    You might want to run the PowerMax drive test from Maxtor on each drive. When TestDisk sees a lot of Read Errors it usually indicates a physical problem with one (or both) of the drives.
  • LumiareLumiare Upper Marlboro, MD
    edited July 2006
    When I Googled Raid 0 Recovery, all I got was adds for data recovery services, but one of them was GetDataBack (for Prime's info =P). I'll ask a few friends who work in the data recovery field about them when they get back in town (half a week >.<), or just take it to the nearest Computer Repair shop.

Was just wondering if there was anything that I could do as a quick fix, before I started spending big bucks.

On a brighter note, I've been meaning to upgrade my system, so maybe this is a sign =P.

**EDIT**
    Oh, and to Profdlp: I'm almost certain there's a problem with the first drive, since the Raid Controller says "Error Occurred" next to it =P.

I'm hoping the actual disks aren't boned, and it's just a motor failure or something, so they can still read the disks. I'm going to finish the TestDisk scan, and then just unplug the box and take it to a Best Buy or something, and see if they can do something with it >.< Hell, I'm going to get a new drive anyway, maybe I can get them to put the data onto the new drive for me =P.
    edited July 2006
    I actually had luck with Runtime's getdataback, but you will definitely have to pay for it.

I actually used that wednesday night. I just used the demo as I only needed it for that night, I may buy the thing If I ever find the need to use it often.
    edited July 2006
    I Fixed It!

I got the magic touch behbeh =P

So after the diagnostic finished (still a corrupt log file) I decided to leave it off. But then I thought to myself "you know, I haven't actually turned OFF the power, I've just been Ctrl+Alt+Delete-ing." So I turned it back on after about 5 min.

It made the most GOD AWEFUL sound you've ever heard a computer make, sounded like a cat stuck in a sander belt with molten shards of glass. So I thought "what would the Fonz do?"...

So I punched it.

After the 3rd or so punch, it stopped making the noise (which I assume came from the harddrive motor being mis-aligned or something), and when I turned on my monitor (forgot I had turned it off), I saw it made it to the Windows Splashscreen (YAY!). So right now I'm formatting an external hard drive that I found lying around, so I can copy the files off of the strange-sounding-almost-dead Raid 0.

This proves that while Violence is not always the answer, it comes in handy sometimes =P.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    As a last resort, I have tapped a drive with a rubber mallet. This comes after I've exhausted the options of freezing it overnight, plugging and unplugging the power connector, and lots of prayer.

Sometimes it works. :vimp:

Glad to hear that you have a shot at getting your data back. :woowoo:
    edited July 2006
    Ahh..The mans mantra.

If it doesnt fit/work, get a hammer; If it still doesnt fit/work, get a bigger hammer.
    edited July 2006
    I was able to get all my data onto an external drive, now to install this Seagate 400GB SATA. ^_^

Oh, and I believe the phrase is "If at first you don't succeed, try a bigger hammer"
    edited July 2006
    There are many variations, and might I recomend a RAID 1?, but I guess no raid at all tis better than RAID 0.:vimp: [/Confucius voice]