bios failure

edited July 2006 in Hardware
My bios crashed while updating. Does anywone know who can repair it? I will have to send the whole motherboard, the chip is soldered in. Is there anything I can due short of sending it out for repair or getting a new motherboard? Thanks

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    If it's soldered in you are pretty much out of luck, unless you have teh 1337 soldering skills and can order a new chip. What is the brand and model number of the motherboard?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    yeh, you better have SuP3r 1337 soldering skills if it is soldered in, because bios chip's pins are usually super close together, and the leads are usually very short, and you will probably end up frying it because of getting it to hot.

now it is in a socket so to speak, then you can pop it out, and pop a new one back in, but I havent seen those in a while.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Depending on the motherboard model, it might be more economic just to get a new board. I could be wrong, but I would imagine soldering in a new chip (if yours is indeed soldered on) would be expensive.
  • edited July 2006
    If you have a DFI motherboard, they will re-flash it for free and return-ship it. Or you can buy a pre-programmed EEPROM chip:
    http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9886

Please contact the maker of you motherboard and ask if they can do anything for you.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2006
    Google for a jtag guide with that chip you will beable to reflash it without even taking it out. (Just soldering more leads on it)
  • edited July 2006
    .Thanks, I fixed it. After doing a bid of research on the web I found a way to reset the bios on the newer chips, there is a jumper around the battery on the motherboard. 1. turn off computer 2. move the jumper so the center pin is connected to the other pin 3. put the floppy with a good bios in the floppy drive and re boot wait until you are sure it is loaded. turn off computer 4. remove jumper and put it back where it was, remove floppy disk. 5. restart computer. Now I can not say for sure that this fixed it because beinging the dummy I am I had the monitor plugged into the wrong video card. Screen was still black even though you could hear the beeps. So after doing a bit more digging around I found another way which involved unplugging the computer removing the bios battery shorting between the bottom tab and the metal tab right under it with a screwdriver for about a minute and restarting. Since I had the monitor plugged into the correct video card it worked this time. Turn off the computer unplut it reinstall the battery. I can not say which for sure which method worked but all is well now. Hope this helps someone.