939 or AM2??

PowerMDPowerMD OR room #3
edited July 2006 in Hardware
SO my Abit NF7 just fried out on me. I'd like to set up a new system but reuse some parts - like my HD and ddr ram. I've been happy with my agp card but I guess that's dead technology now.
I'm looking at athlon 64 at least 3200+ and then an asus or abit mobo? Or any other recs? I've seen some mention of this for a vid card: SAPPHIRE 100141 Radeon X1300 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express
but a passive heat sink? how durable is this?

And yes I know conroe is coming, but I'm not a bleeding edge enthusiast and I'm looking to spend less than $350 total. I play games on occasion, but I don't keep up with the latest ones anymore. I do more internet and video with it.
Thanks

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Since you're planning on using your current ram, you're gonna have to go 939. AM2 uses DDR2.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    If you want passive cooling, go with a Scythe Ninja. It will handle any current AMD CPU without a heatsink fan as long as your case's exhaust is a decent 120mm fan.

Don't limit yourself to a 3200. Prices on most AMD CPUs, including the 4400 and probably the 4800 will be taking a nose dive within a couple weeks.

I'll let an AMD expert advise you on the motherboard.
  • edited July 2006
    The price drops have now begun at Monarch Computers. Check the thread I started in the DD & TP with links to the various processor lines. You can get a hella fast processor now for well under $200 (and if you want a single core proc, under $100).

And like Black Hawk said, if you want to reuse your ram, you will have to go socket 939 and not AM2.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    The price drops have now begun at Monarch Computers. Check the thread I started in the DD & TP with links to the various processor lines. You can get a hella fast processor now for well under $200 (and if you want a single core proc, under $100).

:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

The 3800 single core I bought is $25 cheaper. Dual core is only $15 more instead of $157 more.

:bawling:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    mtgoat wrote a really interesting thread on the subject here.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    What is your current video card?