3800 Venice

ronboronbo Connecticut
edited July 2006 in Hardware
I am using a 3200 winchester now and was thinking of switching to a 3800 Venice since the price drop at Newegg $140. My computer is used for gameing most of the time. Will I see any difference in performance or should I just save my money for a new computer down the line?

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Why not get a 3800 X2 for $160?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    ronbo wrote:
    ...Will I see any difference in performance or should I just save my money for a new computer down the line?
    In my opinion, you wouldn't see $140 worth of a difference.

Now if you followed airborn's advice, that would probably make enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    In my opinion, you wouldn't see $140 worth of a difference.

Now if you followed airborn's advice, that would probably make enough of a difference to make it worthwhile. :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, airborn is giving all of this advice, yet stuck on a S754 A64 2800. All of these pricecuts and people talking about their upgrades while I am wanting to wait till next july/august is like talking to a girl and her giving you the look after my pastor just gave a speech over abstinance.:buck: I am trying so very hard to resist the temptation to click the Checkout button at monarch...:hair:
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited July 2006
    Why not get a 3800 X2 for $160?
    I have a MSI K8N neo2 platium motherboard and I do not think my MB supports this X2 CPU. It was not out when I bought this board. I also hear the dual cores make no difference in games yet..
    edited July 2006
    I have the same MB and I know that they've had a BIOS release out for a while that does the X2 trick. I'd research it carefully first, though.

As for gaming, while there aren't any games (yet) that I know of which benefit from dual-core directly, overall I have heard that it will make any game run a bit smoother simply because the system has more raw CPU power available to it.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited July 2006
    Thanks profdlp, I will look for it but will have my nephew do it for me. Bios setting scare me a lot. I have heard a lot of nightmares about flashing bios. But if he messed it up he fixes it......he he he

airbornflght, do they have that CPU at Newegg too? I only shop with the Egg..and at that price?

edit... I just checked the site you sent me to and the prices are much lower than Newegg...tnx
    edited July 2006
    Well, monarch is a very trustworthy site to shop at, newegg has not dropped their prices yet and there is no telling when they will, but monarch is about 50% cheaper.
  • edited July 2006
    Right now, MWave is tough to beat... Athlon 64 X2 3800+ $153

Link to da GOODS!

And you better upgrade, Airborn... With prices dropping, I'm considering designing my own folding farm...so I can spank your...er...I mean...for scientific research, of course. :bigggrin:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Monarch, if their arrangement has not changed, is a direct reseller of AMD processors. They do not purchase from a supplier, but by bulk, direct from AMD. Monarch has been one of the pioneer businesses helping put AMD on the mainstream map. Monarch was building high performance AMD PCs and barebones systems to order before half of the PC world had even heard of AMD.

Don't know what that has to do with anything above, but just thought I'd throw it in. :D
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited July 2006
    MWave is out of stock on the 3800 Daxx
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I would imagine Newegg and others will have the same price within a couple days.
  • edited July 2006
    ronbo wrote:
    MWave is out of stock on the 3800 Daxx
    They were out earlier in the day too, but when I posted they had 'em back in stock. They must be selling like crazy!
    edited July 2006
    Yeh, but I want to wait, because I bet as soon as intel drops the conroe bomb, prices will drop some more:D

I would love to upgrade, but my current system is just now approaching 2 years, the problem is that I bought into S754...dont ask.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2006
    Right now the Athlon X2 3800+ is $169 at both Monarch & Newegg
    edited July 2006
    Daxx wrote:
    Right now, MWave is tough to beat... Athlon 64 X2 3800+ $153

Link to da GOODS!

And you better upgrade, Airborn... With prices dropping, I'm considering designing my own folding farm...so I can spank your...er...I mean...for scientific research, of course. :bigggrin:

Oh come now, my A64 2800+ and P4 3.2HT cant be that hard to beat...

That is until a A64 4200X2 is added:honoes: Whoa-Hooe!!(The voice of Rake from Vival La Bam)
  • edited July 2006
    That is until a A64 4200X2 is added:honoes: Whoa-Hooe!!(The voice of Rake from Vival La Bam)

You better add more than that....Click Here

:rarr::rarr::rarr::rarr::rarr::rarr::rarr::rarr:
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited July 2006
    profdlp, if you get time can you point me to that link for the X2 bios for my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3....I am searching and I am not finding..but I do stink at searching....
    price went down a little at Newegg .
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562

Is this it?
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html
    edited July 2006
    ronbo wrote:
    profdlp, if you get time can you point me to that link for the X2 bios for my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3...
    First, make sure you check the CPU Support Status page carefully.

Go to the MSI BIOS Search page, choose the AMD platform section, then pick K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025) from the list. (Assuming that is the MB you have - there are a couple variations of that motherboard. Check the board itself for the number "7025" to be sure.)

There is an alternate BIOS page here. I'd stay away from any Beta BIOS downloads.

Word Of Caution: If you're not experienced with flashing a BIOS it would be a good idea to ask questions first. It's not hard, but you want to do it right the first time. ;)
    Those are optimizing programs to help your OS and programs make use of the dual core functionality. :)
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2006
    ronbo wrote:
    profdlp, if you get time can you point me to that link for the X2 bios for my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum nForce3....I am searching and I am not finding..but I do stink at searching....
    price went down a little at Newegg .
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562

Is this it?
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html
    This should be it - BIOS v1.b 2005-09-09

MSI Live Update 3 should grab it and Flash it for you from within Windows.
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited July 2006
    Thank you very much profdlp and Omega65. Without your brains I would be lost and still useing a playstation...I will be sure to have my smart nephew do the flashing for me. Will let you know when the deed is done...