Unable to copy DVD to "CD-R". (Unusual situation)

edited July 2006 in Hardware
I was trying to copy DVD (movie) w/ used space of “458 MB” (about 10-min length) to CD-R w/ free space of 700 MB, but could not.

The file system for the DVD is indicated as “UDF”.

Does any difference in format between DVD and CD exists?
Do I need to use a DVD-/+ R to copy a DVD, even if the DVD’s capacity fits within a capacity of CD-R?

I would really appreciate if anyone would help me on this issue.

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Is this a commercial DVD, you will need a program to convert the DVD movie to CD Video or AVI, something along those lines. Is there any reason why you are wanting to do this? because afaik, you are going to loose any menus/extra content.
  • edited July 2006
    Thank you for your immediate response!:)

Yes, commercial DVD.
    I have no experience in recording a commercial DVD; this became first time I tried to copy a movie-DVD. I am used to copy my PC's files to DVD media for a backup purpose, so I thought the DVD to CD-R copy works like the copying files, since the capacity of the DVD fits within the CD-R's capacity.

I have WinDVD Creator 2 and Sony Record Now! as recording programs.
    you will need a program to convert the DVD movie to CD Video or AVI
    This means a format of DVD and CD differs?

Would you please explain a little about DVD recording to me, a beginner?

Thank you very much!!!!
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited July 2006
    Helpneed wrote:
    Thank you for your immediate response!:)

Yes, commercial DVD.
    I have no experience in recording a commercial DVD; this became first time I tried to copy a movie-DVD. I am used to copy my PC's files to DVD media for a backup purpose, so I thought the DVD to CD-R copy works like the copying files, since the capacity of the DVD fits within the CD-R's capacity.

I have WinDVD Creator 2 and Sony Record Now! as recording programs.

This means a format of DVD and CD differs?

Would you please explain a little about DVD recording to me, a beginner?

Thank you very much!!!!

Are you planning to watch this in your DVD player or something? If you are, then you have to get DVD+/-R's. If you convert it to AVI, it will lose a little quality, and yes the format differs. If you burn too CD-R, you may not be able to play it in your DVD player, unless you have a DivX Player or something. To put it simply, the format differs and you need a DVDR.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yeh, do a search for DVD Shrink 3.2 on google, if you are wanting to back it up, then that is what you need. You will also need a DVD burner.
  • edited July 2006
    Thank you sooo much, airbornflght and Scar!:D

I really appreciate help of both of you!!!:thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Helpneed, I re-opened your thread. There was no need to close it. But thanks for doing what you thought was appropriate.
  • edited July 2006
    To Leo: Thank you for the thread-close info!:thumbsup:
    I thought I should close a thread when the problem is solved.
    Thank you!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    No read to close threads, as their function is much greater than helping a person solve a problem. Such threads are also part of a greater database of help for others who wish to peruse or add perspective.