Best way to put two keyboards, mice and monitors on one computer?

metomeyametomeya New
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Okay my mom got a new 37" inch HDTV! It comes with a port to plug your computer in.

She has her computer in the next room. She wants to use her computer in both places.

She has a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Elite w/mouse through the mouse and keyboard ports.

How can I split the keyboard, mouse and monitor to run wires to the next room?

The input on the HDTV is analog, and so is the monitor.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Are you saying that both keyboard/mouse sets use PS/2? If they were USB, you could simply plug them both in without a problem (unless both mice move at once I guess), but if they're PS/2 you'll need splitters for both.

Does the video card have dual outputs, or only a single one? If it has dual VGA, you can hook them both up to the card and set the dual-desktop options in the video control panel. If it has one DVI output and one VGA, you'll need a DVI-VGA converter. If it only has one output... as far as I know you'll need another video card.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Best way to put two keyboards, mice and monitors on one computer?
    Duct tape! :buck:

Wow, that's a good question. I'll watch this thread. This could be very interesting.
  • metomeyametomeya New
    edited July 2006
    ya it only has one output, and its a sony VAIO! I hate those things! I know its gonna be a pain to upgrade the hardware!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I agree with Ghoosdum, you need a keyboard & mouse with USB support along with the original PS2 mouse and keyboard. now if they are all USB that is just as good.

as for the monitor you will need to get a splitter.. they are pretty cheap these days, or you can get a new garphics card that is made for this type of setup...
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I just did this setup for our CFO, who wanted to train a new manager. We ended up purchasing an AGP card from a retail store that supported dual VGA. He already had a PS/2 mouse and keyboard, so I just grabbed him a USB mouse and keyboard as well. He already had purchased the monitors (both analog).

Video Card: $80
    Keyboard: $25
    Mouse: Free (Had one lying around)
    The happiness in my CFO's (the guy that signs my checks) eyes: priceless

There are some thing money can't buy... and that's why you kiss ass.

Anyway, it works beautifully. You can probably get everything much cheaper, because my job was a rush. If you ordered off the internet, you'd probably cut that cost in half.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited July 2006
    As an alternative you could google 'reverse KVM switch'

and no, I didn't know they made them either :D

you might want one of these as well:

PS2 keyboard / mouse extender

edit: and for the monitor you might want to look at a 'wireless video sender'

Like this one