Sata + ide

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys.
I was wondering that if I plug an ide hd that has an operating system into the master slot on my mobo, when I boot my computer up will it boot to the ide hd instead of my sata drive?
I want to reformat the ide hd, but I need to get into windows to do it :-/
Thanks for the help.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    It all depends on your boot order configuration in your BIOS. If your SATA drive is first, it'll boot SATA.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited July 2006
    I guess I could start another thread with this, but it's a pretty simple question.
    I'm trying to format that ide hard drive, but the formatting takes forever (after 3 hours it's at about 50%).
    any idea as to what my problem is, or an easier way to wipe the hd clean so I can use it for storage?
    I figure it might have something to do with the connections with the ide cable, but just in case it isn't, got any ideas?
  • edited July 2006
    A full format can take a while, its worth doing if you plan to use it for storage, you don't want the drive to crap out do you?
    edited July 2006
    rapture-IC wrote:
    A full format can take a while, its worth doing if you plan to use it for storage, you don't want the drive to crap out do you?

yeah but I've done formats before, and they might have taken an hour max.
    This thing went for three hours, and was just over halfway done. That's why I'm concerned :-/
    Maybe the hd is bad o.O
    edited July 2006
    Nevermind :D
    I used pm8 on it, and it worked like a charm
    Yet another black mark against windows for me
    Thanks for the help though :respect:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    but the formatting takes forever (after 3 hours it's at about 50%)
    Does the formatting advance beyond 50%, or are you saying it gets stuck at 40% and progresses no further? Is this a hard drive you've formatted before, or is it a new drive. What's the capacity?
    edited July 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Does the formatting advance beyond 50%, or are you saying it gets stuck at 40% and progresses no further? Is this a hard drive you've formatted before, or is it a new drive. What's the capacity?

I let it keep going, and it got to what it seemed was 100%, but then an error message came up saying "windows cannot format this drive"
    <3 pm8
    I don't believe the drive was ever reformatted, but the drive is three years old I think. 80gb