Simple iPod file transfer question

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Internet & Media
I have computer #1 with a library on it.
I have an iPod with the same library.
Now I have computer #2.

How in the hell do get the library from the iPod onto computer #2?
There has got to be a way to do this, but I am stumped.

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    install itunes on #2, and in the file menu, there should be an option to update your collection or something like that, because you are allowed to have it on 3 computers I believe. or you could try copying the files, but the DRM might throw a fit.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    ive just copied the files..they should work...what i suggest is transfer the files first..format your ipod and the load everything in... or maybe just try todo a full out transfer with the same files names and such... im pretty sure it wont be a big deal well i hope so atleast cuz thats what imma gonna do to my gfs lol :X
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Yes, iTunes on on machine #2.
    Yes, under files there is an update, BUT it wants to update the iPod to match the computer, not the other way around.
    What detail am I missing here?
    I don't want to dick around copying 1100 tracks.
    edited July 2006
    OK. If you export the files are put into some wierd format.

SOOOO, you take a couple of 1GB USB mem sticks and start copying blocks of files to them. Stick them into the other machine and copy into the library.
    2 hours later you have 4GB of music moved.
    Now I am going to burn it all to a DVD. (alas, machine #1 does not burn DVDs or I would have done this in the first place)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I'm pretty sure that iPods are designed to not allow transfers from iPod to computer. I think I stumbled across a utility one time that allowed you to copy your library from the iPod, but I don't think it was easy, nor do I remember its name. Sorry for the lack of help.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    The only way to tranfer from iPod > PC is with third party programs. I use Anapod Explorer. Nice little proggie.
    edited July 2006
    tks, ed
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Use Anapod to transfer the music from your iPod to your other computer. Then, on the computer with the music on it originally, export the music listing by going to File>Export Library.

This creates an XML file with all the information about your music. On your new computer go to File>Import in iTunes and select this XML file, this saves you the time of having your second computer re-input all your music onto your iPod.