Lost Dell WinXP disk, but have valid Product ID

edited January 2007 in Hardware
I am working on a computer for a friend. The short story is that I wound up trying to Repair Install using my valid XP Home disk, which failed to fix the problems.

So I did a Complete Install with my valid XP disk, and discovered that the Dell wouldn't take it's own Product ID.

I can find various XP versions, but would like to know in advance which one I will need to install in order to get the Dell's Product ID code to work. Right now, it has my valid PID, and I don't want to give the computer back until I get my key off of it.

I tried to change the key and the key changer wouldn't work.

Any help appreciated, and thanks in advance,

Johnny

Comments

• edited July 2006
    Install XP from whatever CD you happen to have (Though if you have an XP Home key, you need an XP Home-flavored disk), install it using any key (a friend's if you must).

Then download/unzip/run this attachment, input your own legit key, hit next, reboot, and call it in to activate (online activation won't work with this).

This key changing tool is legit, and is available from Microsoft's website in case any of the mods are wondering.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    This key changing tool is legit, and is available from Microsoft's website in case any of the mods are wondering.
    I was. Thank you for being so clear (and helpful) in your thread! :bigggrin:
  • edited July 2006
    The SmJ,
    Install XP from whatever CD you happen to have (Though if you have an XP Home key, you need an XP Home-flavored disk), install it using any key (a friend's if you must).

Then download/unzip/run this attachment, input your own legit key, hit next, reboot, and call it in to activate (online activation won't work with this).

I'm trying to understand your suggestion and the only conclusion I can come up with is that you misunderstood my situation.

The Dell had WinXP Home on it originally. And my legitimate O/S is WinXP Home as well.

My Home won't take the Dell's Home Product ID with the changer that I have. If the critical detail is the changer itself (doubtful) then your suggestion would work, but I don't think it matters which changer you use as it is just a matter of changing a Registry Key. You can do it manually.

The fact that the changer won't input the Dell's product ID tells me the O/S doesn't like it.

I've done some reading and it's been most disturbing, if I can believe it.

Apparantly there are a few different "types" of WinXP. Home (upgrade or full), Pro (upgrade or full), OEM, Corporate (which I suspect is the same as OEM) and then I also read that the companies like Dell have some kind of BIOS code that will only allow "their" licensed version of XP to be used with "their" Product ID.

I am hoping this is corporate disinformation, or the restrictions are not as narrow as they try to make you beleive.

What I'm hoping for is someone to tell me that I can use this Dell PID on any OEM software, and that it doesn't matter what the BIOS or anything else has on it.

I'll try the microsoft key changer, but I don't think it's going to work.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2006
    If I remember right, with the Dell XP cds, it also depends on the service pack.

for example-(btw I've got 2 dell cds, 1 XP pro, 1 XPpro sp1) MS will not recognize the code if I use the sp1 cd with the pro disk code. They didn't even recognize it when I used the sp1 disk, sp1 code, but updated to sp2. I had to un-install sp2, activate, then install sp2.

Sound stoopid, but thats the way it worked.

Calling MS for activation is a PITA, but it's there software.
    Sorry I can't help with a keychanger, never had to use one
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited July 2006
    The SmJ,

Apparantly there are a few different "types" of WinXP. Home (upgrade or full), Pro (upgrade or full), OEM, Corporate (which I suspect is the same as OEM) and then I also read that the companies like Dell have some kind of BIOS code that will only allow "their" licensed version of XP to be used with "their" Product ID.

I am hoping this is corporate disinformation, or the restrictions are not as narrow as they try to make you beleive.

What I'm hoping for is someone to tell me that I can use this Dell PID on any OEM software, and that it doesn't matter what the BIOS or anything else has on it.

I'll try the microsoft key changer, but I don't think it's going to work.

As an afterthought (coffee is jsut starting to kick) could you contact Dell to see about a replacement disk? It might be worth it in the long run for your friend to have it.

Mods, if this is going to far please delete: Latest hardware update required a re-load of XP, as an experiment i used my Dell disk, no probs. Hardware upgrades have taken me to the point of there not being a Dell part left.
  • edited July 2006
    What version is the disk that you used to install XP Home on that Dell computer, Johnny Quick? Was that disk itself an OEM disk or is it an upgrade? If it is an Upgrade XP Disk, that is the problem. That Dell should take an install with a generic OEM XP Home disk without puking I would think. But it won't work with the Dell product ID if you installed with an upgrade XP disk and Product Key.

Donut's idea about calling Dell for a new reinstallation disk is a good one. I just checked a website I've bought M$ operating systems and product keys from before and they do have an Dell XP Pro reinstallation CD (no product key included) for sale, but no Home version
  • edited July 2006
    It seems to me I understand your situation AND I am well aware of the many different flavors of Windows XP install disks. I really think this specific key changing application is what you need to get the key to work on the wrong "flavor" of install disk.

At this point I've installed XP Home and Pro on many OEM machines which only contain OEM keys and I've used the wrong "version" CD to get it installed on the machine using the key the system was purchased with. BUT you must use this key changing application to do it (it does a lot more than simply change the registry key you're referring to).

When you run this application, the first thing it does is scan your installed copy of Windows (it takes about 10-20 seconds), then it asks for the key you would like to use. After you enter the key it will take another 30 seconds to chew on it then prompts you to reboot. After rebooting, it demands you re-activate the OS. Activating over the internet WILL tell you the key is invalid, but if you call in and do it over the phone, they will tell you the code you need to activate the OS legitimately.

After this, the code you entered into the application will in fact be the one in the system's registry, and will have turned whatever flavor install you made (weather it have been from an upgrade, full or OEM copy) into whatever flavor the key was originally matched to - in your case, OEM.

EDIT:

Oh, and for the record:

There are only two editions of Windows XP - Home and Professional. There are then three different types of install disks for each edition:

OEM - Which is used by companies such as Dell, HP, etc.

Upgrade Which is purchased in a store, and you must own a copy of Windows 9X or 2K to install it on any system.

and Full - Which costs considerably more, but does not require any previous versions of Windows to be installed.

There is also a different type of key which can only be used on Windows XP Pro installs - known as a "corporate" key. It is purchased by large companies which own a large number of computers (such as Ford Motor Co.) and once used, it will not prompt you for activation. I believe Microsoft has stopped issuing these keys since they are clearly abused so much, but I'm unsure.
  • edited July 2006
    Donut wrote:
    As an afterthought (coffee is jsut starting to kick) could you contact Dell to see about a replacement disk? It might be worth it in the long run for your friend to have it.
    A friend of mine had a catastrophic hard drive failure on his HP machine and, guess what, HP installed his copy of windows on a second partition rather than give him an OEM CD. We replaced his hard drive, but had no way to install the OS because it went when the hard drive went. He called HP too try and get a CD and got transferred about a billion times, jerked around, lied too, misinformed, mad as Hell, and ended up buying another copy of XP Pro on the internet.

I'm not saying that everyone is treated this way by HP, but our experience was substandard.

Hopefully Dell will fix you right up! :D
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Dell is usually good about giving you a new copy of the CDs once (that is, if you paid the extra 10 to get the XP install CDs).

This thing happened to my sister only a month ago. Dell sent her a new set and told her not to loose it. If she did, she'd have to pay for them the next go around.
  • edited July 2006
    The SmJ,

UPS is supposed to deliver the RAM upgrade for this Dell today, so I have been waiting for that before trying the official MS key changer you recommend. I'll report back on the results. Thanks.
  • edited January 2007
    TheSmJ wrote:

I did this and it worked fine, but I never called in to activate it. I never got a promp to and I have no idea what the phone number is? If/when I do, will they ask me where I got my copy of windows?