Help building a new computer.

edited July 2006 in Hardware
Hey all.
As you can probably tell by the title, I'm planning on building myself a new computer. I know a bit about this stuff, but I'm no expert. As for my budget, well, I'll worry about scraping together the cash later. I do have somewhat of a time restraint, though. I'd like to have it built before I have to move back into the dorms; about four weeks.
I'd prefer to get the best stuff available, that way I won't have to upgrade again for a good long while. My goal is to be able to run, say, Quake 4 on the highest settings.

I already have the case and DVD drives.
Now to the parts I'm considering...

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX62 When I showed that to some kid I know, he basically said "LOLOLOLOL DOOD U R GHEY KUZ INTEL IS TEH PWN AMD NWO LOLOLOLOLOL" When I inquired further, it did appear that the new intel will indeed "pwn" the FX62, but he also had no idea when it's coming out.

Graphics card: Geforce 7950GX2 or maybe Radeon x1900xt
I usually prefer Radeon, but my friend (who is, admittadly, a nvidia fanboy) said that the 7950XG2 outdid the X1900XT. I've also noticed other cards of varying prices, but don't know if they're different because of performance, quality of simply brand names.

RAM: Corsair 2 gig DDR2

Hard drive: Western Digital SATA 500 GB

Motherboard: I would prefer ASUS, but I'm not sure specifically what kind would be best. Maybe this?

I'm also planning on getting a new power supply. I'd probably need at least 500W, maybe 600W.
Any advice would be welcomed, and greatly appreciated.:)

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I realize you need to build without too much delay, but you would be wasting several hundred dollars on the FX CPU. Conroe testing has shown a $300 CPU to outpace the $8XX FX and Intel's "EE" overpriced silliness...at review after review after review. Are you sure you can't wait until a long weekend a couple months from now to build your machine? You could use the interim time to research and to order the parts you need as they become available.

No AMD fanboy here, just witnessing the new excellent CPU that Intel has managed to bring to market after a three year foot shooting festival.
  • edited July 2006
    The thing is that at the moment, my current desktop isn't exactly to stable. I think I may have fixed the problem by replacing the processor(random freezing), but now I have another problem.
    Besides that the new processor is a bit slower than my other one (1.8, other was 2.4), as I was removing it, the little hook for the heat sink snapped off. Right now I've got a little piece of metal holding it on, but it's no permanent fix.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think I saw any way to replace the heat sink mount; it looked like it was riveted on. So no matter what, assuming I've fixed the freezing, I'd need at least a new motherboard, and I'd rather get everything at once. Perhaps I can set up my system for a Conroe and use some cheap processor till it's released, though.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    random freezing
    That usually is not a processor problem, unless the processor is overheating. Actually, that sounds more like memory problems or video GPU overheating.
    Perhaps I can set up my system for a Conroe and use some cheap processor till it's released, though.
    That sounds smart. Your best bet would be a good quality PSU such as OCZ, Antec, or Fortron, plus an Asus P5WDH motherboard. Mate that with a cheap but effective Intel D805 (less than $100, dual core) and the DDR2 RAM of your choice. When Conroe is available, flash your motherboard to the latest BIOS with the 805 still in the machine, and you'll be ready for the CPU or your choice. The 805 will perform much better than what you have now and will net you at least $50 when you resell it.

Just don't get an FX or a EE unless that 10% extra performance is worth half a thousand dollars to you.

OH, BTW, the 805 is a snappy little overcocker. Expect at least 3.5GHz with a good cooler and the Asus P5WDH. If I were going Conroe now, I'd definitely go with the P5WDH. I'm running the P5WD2 (D series dual core) and they are excellent.
  • edited July 2006
    I don't think the processor was overheating, but it may have been. Usually when it does, it shuts the whole computer down instead of just, well, freezing. It also may have been the video card, but since replacing the processor, it hasn't frozen yet (key word, heh).

I've got my second draft of parts.

Power supply: OCZ GamerXStream 600W
    Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
    Processor (temporary): Intel Pentium D 805 Dual Core
    Video Card: Geforce 7950 GX2
    RAM: Two 1 gig sticks of Kingston PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
    Hard drive: WD 500GB SATA

Thanks Leonardo, you've been a big help.:)