Asus P4T-E System Shutdown Problems

drasnordrasnor Starship OperatorHawthorne, CA Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
I've got an Asus P4T-E with a 1.8GHz P4 Northwood, 512MB of PC800, and an Antec True380 PSU. The computer will, after varying periods of activity, shut down for no apparent reason. It'll be behaving normally and then all of a sudden the fans slow to about half speed and then everything turns off. The temperatures all look good and the voltages, though a little low, are still within tolerance. After it shuts down, any attempts to start the machine result in a processor failure siren. This activity started about a week ago though the computer has been functioning normally for the past few years.

I tried swapping out the power supply and the processor, neither of which had any effect.

Ideas?

-drasnor :fold:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    could be the motherboard - either something important or even a faulty sensor somewhere.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    could be the motherboard - either something important or even a faulty sensor somewhere.
    That's what bothers me though, this motherboard doesn't have PCM fan control so when the fans slow down it almost assuredly means the 12V line has dropped.

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    PSU problem
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    PSU problem
    Second the motion.

Can you use something like MBM5 to log voltages? If so, make sure it updates the log frequently enough to allow you a chance to spot a glitch.
    edited August 2006
    Both PSUs did the same thing though, and one is brand new. However, the new one didn't have the auxiliary P4 power connector, the one that looks like a P8/P9 from an AT system. I was watching Asus PC Probe and the voltages though a little low, stayed within tolerance right up until the machine shuts down.

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Did you get this figured out dras? I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the P4 connector is critical for that generation of Pentiums.
    edited August 2006
    No resolution. I ended up buying them a new computer from redchief's spares and this one is going home with me.