ATI 9550 Help needed

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Ok guys this sounds strange but I have a Sapphire 256 ATI 9550 AGP card. Due to a sort of upgrade in my chip and montherboard (ASROCK P4DUAL-915GL/M/ASR) I am told by the motherbaod manual that only certain ATI cards are compatible. An ATI 9500 is compatible with the m-board, so what I need to know is there any way of changing the firmware on my 9550 to 9500?

Any help would be appreciated as I can't afford a new graphics card....

Thanks

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    The 9550 is not related to the 9500 at all. It is actually part of the 9600 family which is based on a different processor unit. If you are not experienceing any problems I would not worry about it. The worst tht can happen is it won't work and I don't find that very likely.
  • edited August 2006
    MT_Goat,
    Thanks for your reply, I haven't tried the card in the the motherbaord yet but I will and I suppose if it doesn't work i 'll have to buy a card from the compatibility list.

Thanks again
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I am sure your card will work in that motherboard...
  • edited August 2006
    I am sure your card will work in that motherboard...

Hi Guys,

I tried the card but no joy. The pc boots up but the screen is black. I've had to revert back to my crappy Nvidia 5600xt 128 agp card.....Ahhh!
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    are you serious?! that makes no sense what so ever...i mean i can't think of a time which i ever used a graphics card that didnt work with my motherboard
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2006
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    are you serious?! that makes no sense what so ever...i mean i can't think of a time which i ever used a graphics card that didnt work with my motherboard
    Every machine ive ever seen with an asrock boards been like that.

You could try a bios update.
  • perryjonesperryjones Iowa
    edited August 2006
    I had an Asrock board and ati card 9550 this vid card will not work asrock board.
    It has to do with the bridges on an asrock board. I finally bought an nvidia 6600gt
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Hi, Perry! Thanks for joining Short-Media. Hope you will be active here. You will find we are friendly place to be.

The tech ain't too bad either!
  • perryjonesperryjones Iowa
    edited August 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Hi, Perry! Thanks for joining Short-Media. Hope you will be active here. You will find we are friendly place to be.

The tech ain't too bad either!

Thanks will try to be active.