9800pro aiw corruption everywhere

edited August 2006 in Hardware
My system is:

9800pro aiw (made by ATI)
Abit nf7
Athlon 2500+
512mb ram

I have the same system for over 2 years running stable, including the radeon.

After two years the aiw suddenly started displaying corrupted images everywhere. It happens everywhere: on POST, BIOS, Windows (2d), Games, playing videos, etc. Sometimes if i keep rebooting it'll enter windows with no aparent corruption. But from when it started, 3 days ago, it seems to be getting worse everyday.

Some pictures:

During POST

img2065hv5.jpg

On windows

winjn7.jpg

Im a bit clueless on what to do. Im right now using an 1mb card (but its PCI). From the description and pictures can you tell for sure that its the video card causing this problems?

Any suggestion on what to do is welcome, thanks.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    What you can do is...

replace the video card. It's days are coming to an end. Sorry for the drama, but that cross hatching is indicative of a card that is failing. It's gone.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    im gonna gree with leo..swap cards and see if it makes a difference..if not..report back to us for another briefing.. you are dismissed private!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    One thing I'd recommend prior to replacing the card:

Take a look at your power supply voltage rails. If you are sagging on the +5V, +12V or +3.3V rails, you can get nasty graphical instability like you pictured above. I have seen this happen frequently. You can use MBM5 or any other monitoring tool to find this (including BIOS readings). Post back with the results. If they are all in check, you may have to replace the card.

Also, definitely check out ATI's website to see if you are eligable for an RMA.. I believe the 'built by ATI' cards have 3 year warranties. I know the card is not top notch by todays standards, but a free replacement is better than junking it :)

Best of luck and let us know how it goes..
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    It seems a ton of 9800 series cards are going out all around the same time... I seem to be reading about one daily that has fried or has done what is posted above.

New card has been the answer in all case's I have seen in the last months :(
  • edited August 2006
    +3.3v 3.39v
    +5v 5.08v
    +12v 11.86
    -12v -11.79
    -5v -5.10v

Are those numbers good?
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    My 9800 NP exhibits that kind of cross-hatching whenever I bump or remove/replace the monitor cable. I have to restart my computer every time it happens.

Mine was a refurb, though, so it probably had issues before I bought it.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    ive got a refurb 9800pro aiw...and its working nicely...and its refurb
  • edited August 2006
    Last question i promisse.

Is thas error a fryed Vga for sure? Can i Rma it, without the risk of the problem being on another part of my system?
  • edited August 2006
    The best way to check for that is to stick another video card in your system in place of your aiw 9800 or try your 9800 in another machine. If another video card runs right in your machine or your video card does the same stuff in another machine, then you will know for sure if your aiw 9800 is dying.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    +3.3v 3.39v
    +5v 5.08v
    +12v 11.86
    -12v -11.79
    -5v -5.10v

Are those numbers good?

Yep, those are all within spec. I doubt it is the PSU. Best thing to test is to borrow a graphics card from a friend.

Also, you may want to ensure that the cooler is working correctly on your card. Chances are it is too late though. Try ATI's RMA service, it may still be covered.
  • A7XA7X
    edited August 2006
    Im just curious.. Is a ATI Radeon 9550 Series Video Card any good?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    A7X, please start a new thread for your inquiry. We'd love to help you, but your present post is like a flower pot in the middle of the highway - nice, but sort of in the way. (When you post your new thread, in order for us to help you better, please explain what you mean by "good." It all depends upon what you need the card to do.)