Success

AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys,
You probably remember that a month or so ago I was attempting to overclock my system.
Well I finally bought the ram, and I am now running stable at just over 2 ghz. Idle temp is 31*C, haven't tried 100% temp check yet.

I'm mostly posting this to thank everybody who helped me through this process.
Short-Media for the win! <3
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Way to go!

Now, be careful, overclocking can become addictive!

Addiction

More Addiction
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited August 2006
    When I tried to do 250 fsb with the multiplier at 9x the system wouldn't take it, which I was disappointed in :(
    Then I did 250fsb with the multiplier at 8x, still no dice.
    I guess I'll just stick with 230 at 9x

I'm running prime95 right now, and my temp is at 38*C, I'm not sure if it's going to get any higher, but if it doesn't I'll be very happy. :)

Thanks again everybody!

About that addiction..this is the only computer I own that can really be overclocked. I don't trust overclocking a celeron, and overclocking a k6 is just silly :p
    I do ask my friends to overclock all of the time though, I guess that might be addiction :bigggrin:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    When I tried to do 250 fsb with the multiplier at 9x the system wouldn't take it, which I was disappointed in :(
    Then I did 250fsb with the multiplier at 8x, still no dice.
    I guess I'll just stick with 230 at 9x

I'm running prime95 right now, and my temp is at 38*C, I'm not sure if it's going to get any higher, but if it doesn't I'll be very happy. :)

Thanks again everybody!

About that addiction..this is the only computer I own that can really be overclocked. I don't trust overclocking a celeron, and overclocking a k6 is just silly :p
    I do ask my friends to overclock all of the time though, I guess that might be addiction :bigggrin:

Woot! Good stuff AlphaTrinity!

If you can't pass 250MHz, there are two things you should check:

1) Try to decrease your HTT (sometimes called LDT) multiplier. It should be at 4x (800/1600MHz) for a 250MHz reference clock.

2) Try to run your memory on a divider (to decrease its frequency).

Those two things will allow you to determine if it is the RAM or the HTT. Since you had the same behavior at 9x and 8x, vcore should not be the issue, and I doubt the CPU has seen its limit. If those two things do not help, your mainboard may be the culpret (in which case there is not much that can be done).

A Venice based chip should average at around 2.6GHz overclock. Some lucky folks can do 2.7-2.9 with good cooling and extra vcore.

Good luck!
    edited August 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    If you can't pass 250MHz, there are two things you should check:

1) Try to decrease your HTT (sometimes called LDT) multiplier. It should be at 4x (800/1600MHz) for a 250MHz reference clock.

2) Try to run your memory on a divider (to decrease its frequency).

I found the HT multiplier you mentioned, and it was set a 5x, so I set it to 4x like you suggested. Now I'm running at 250mhz at an 8x cpu multiplier.
    While in bios I noticed something called HT Width, and it had a down arrow, then the number 16, then an up arrow and a number 16. I was wondering if that has anything to do with the numbers you put in parenthesis (800/1600), because there is an option for up arrow 8 down arrow 16.
    I'm just going to leave my computer as it is until someone replies. (Yes I know my computer is now running 70mhz slower than yesterday)

<3 shortmedia :respect:
    edited August 2006
    I found the HT multiplier you mentioned, and it was set a 5x, so I set it to 4x like you suggested. Now I'm running at 250mhz at an 8x cpu multiplier.
    While in bios I noticed something called HT Width, and it had a down arrow, then the number 16, then an up arrow and a number 16. I was wondering if that has anything to do with the numbers you put in parenthesis (800/1600), because there is an option for up arrow 8 down arrow 16.
    I'm just going to leave my computer as it is until someone replies. (Yes I know my computer is now running 70mhz slower than yesterday)

<3 shortmedia :respect:

Cool stuff :thumbup

There should be no reason to decrease the bus width (it can remain at 16/16). The 800/1600MHz is created by the 4x multiplier, which is one and the same. If it is running at 250x8 now, the 5x HTT multiplier was definitely holding you back. You should be able to push ahead to about 280MHz, at which time you'll have to decrease it further to 3x. Give it heck and let us know how far you get :D
    edited August 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Give it heck and let us know how far you get :D

Haha..I'm not going to take TOO many risks as this is my only good computer and I don't want to lose it :p
    I'll try that out tonight and I'll let you know, I just got a new server and I'm dying to play with it. <3
    If you feel like it, mind being a teacher and explaining to me what the HTT multiplier is? :thumbsup:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Don't forget about Short-Media's ever popular 754/939 Platform Overclocking Guide!
    edited August 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    Don't forget about Short-Media's ever popular 754/939 Platform Overclocking Guide!
    If you feel like it, mind being a teacher and explaining to me what the HTT multiplier is?

Yep, its all explained in there :)
    edited August 2006
    I meant more like..what does it stand for, what is it exactly, how does it function in the cpu..stuff like that. I'm a computer newb, so I like to learn whenever possible :buck:

Anyway, now I'm doing 250fsb at 9x cpu multiplier.
    29*C idle, 39*C 100% load.

I'm officially satisfied now :wave:
    Once again, thanks a bunch short-media!
    You are all my heroes <3