4X512 or 2X1GB memory

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited August 2006 in Hardware
I am thinking of jumping from 1gb to 2gb of memory. What would be the best set up. Would I be able to sell the 1gb of 512 very easily.
Mushkin Extreme memory 4-4-3-12 DDR2800

Thanks for any ideas!

Radio91P:wtf:

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2006
    I'd say 2 x 1gb but it also depends on the ram. I'd put it up on ebay, you'd probably have the best luck there.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I'd go for 2x1GB becuase the command rate would be 1T vs 2T with 4 DIMM's, thus a small performance gain.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I'd put it up on ebay, you'd probably have the best luck there.
    I'd also try our very own Deal Depot & Trading Post. Look around at different tech forums as well as eBay and you should be able to figure out a good asking price.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    2x1GB, without a doubt.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited August 2006
    SHould my memory be set at 1T. It is set at 2T

Mushking eXtreme memory DDR2800

Thanks for the help by the way.

Radio91P:respect:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Radio91P wrote:
    SHould my memory be set at 1T. It is set at 2T

Mushking eXtreme memory DDR2800

Thanks for the help by the way.

Radio91P:respect:

When I was testing the AM2 platform in May, I noticed that the ASUS board defaulted to 2T timings (even with only two sticks). It is probably an extra measure taken to ensure stability with a greater number of dimms. I'd give it a try at 1T, but be sure to run plenty of Memtest86+ runs, and your favorite stress testing application. You will see a small performance gain as a result.

Also, definitely look for 2x1GB if you can afford it. Keep in mind that if you overclock your ram, it is very difficult with 4 DIMMs due to increased memory controller stress.(not to mention the 2T necessity).
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited August 2006
    Hey Lemon,

I will try that! Thanks for the info. Nine months ago I did not know anything about how to build a computer or how they really worked. I got tired of paying a lot of money to companies that give me crap. I decided to learn how and shortly found short-media. I have pretty much learned all that I know(which is minimal) from this site.

Thanks to all the patient folks here at Short-Media!!!:cheers: