kt880 or nforce 2 ultra

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    The NF2 chipset has been much more popular the Via KT880. I remember reading that the KT880 actually had good performance (not a hallmark of VIA) and was a pretty easy set up. That Abit NF2 board is a later version, so it ought to be rock stable and mature. Seems a bit pricey for that older stage of technology. Were it me, and I weren't too concerned about price, I'd go for the NF2 board.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    the only problemo i ahve about the nf2 board is that its not the nf7s revision 2 board...its somehting different...which apparently doesnt OC well..which really isnt a huge of concern of mine... HOWEVER... it has no heatsinks on the northbrdge...i should assume it comes with heatsinks right

EDIT
    i also have 2 sticks of OCZ ram which i would like to use in dual channel..im pretty sure that the nf7-sg2 board will support that but it doesnt blantantly state it like the via880 board does
    edited August 2006
    I don't know about overclocking potential of the Abit board. Sorry, didn't even think about that, as I never thought the Bartons were much good at overclocking anyway. If you don't overclock, you wouldn't need a heatsink on the Northbridge. The northbridge on the NF2s at default clock don't get above warm.
    edited August 2006
    hmmm...well i would like to overclock slightly..and get it from 2500+ speeds to 2800+ speeds (changing the fsb to 200mhz) but i guess i do have this dead heatsink by my side... also leo if you could check out my other post that referrs to me "having a comp hex" cuz i would like your input on my syumptoms before i go out and buy a new mobo...(even though im so frustrated right now i could pop)
    edited August 2006
    I did read your other thread. I think before you declare that board dead or terminally ill, you should disassemble the computer and reassemble, in order to check for shorts.

If the other board is dead, just use it's NB heatsink for the new board, if the new board lacks one.
    edited August 2006
    well as of now...you have gotten me out of a bind with my tbird problem..and its always good to have more than one person's thoughts on the subject...and its 3am... i also found this "nifty" guide to overclocking the nf7-sg2 board...too bad i cannot find a nf7-s rev 2.0...