B L A C K S C R E E N O F N O R E T U R N :'(

ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
edited August 2006 in Hardware
i've been looking on the internet for a long time now for a website i can grow accustomed to. i'm glad i found this one by reading an article about how to rebuild windows xp in 5 system lines of code or something. i think this is worse than that.

being a new member i think i'm in serious trouble. i decided to overclock like crazy the other day.......and my screen is black when i start up and nothing i've done will make it work.........

i think i'll be needing a little help here considering i finally built my dream machine..... :'(

so heres what happened, about halfway through the overclock a few days ago i took a break and posted the specs of the uncompleted system in the rigs forum. All i needed to do is basically install the Corsair 1024MB RAM along with the 1GB of Dual Channel Ram i had running.

All the timings and everything has all been set. Its just the Corsair Ram stick i ordered online and it didn't come in until today. I put it in the computer and the screen went blank!!!!! no beeps or anything.....even a bios reset jumper which i've read about in the manual wouldn't help!!!!!!!

here are the specs of my so called dream machine....

AMD AthlonXP-M (Barton) 2400+ 35W OC/ed to 2.9GHz, 242x12, Vcore1.975
2x0512MB Crucial Ballistix PC4000 2.9V, 2-2-2-2
1x1024MB Corsair XMS PC4000 2.9V, 2-2-2-2
ABiT NF7-S 2.0 nForce2 Ultra MCP, Deluxe (with custom modded BIOS)
nVidia GeForceFX 5200 (oced, with Thermaltake VGA Fan)
Dual Monitor Setup
Thermaltake Volcano 12+ Copper AIR Cooler, (custom modded 6000rpm)
2x500GB Maxtor DiamondMAX11, SATA, 16MB 500GB, RAID=0
1x750GB Seagate Barracuda IDE (Slave for music and hdmedia)
SoundBlaster Live 5.1 (Headphones)
Nvidia Soundstorm (Speakers)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Wait, the screen when blank? Did you plug the memory in while the system was powered on?
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    The ability to run certain timings changes when you add more memory. Different types of memory are capable of running at different timings as well. Shoot, even the same exact model of the same exact brand may run differently.

Since you added the new stick, you'll have to mess with the timings again.

Just to get this one out of the way, you put the memory in while it was off, right? Heh. Just making sure. (Hmmm... Thrax beat me to this one)

Have you reset the CMOS? Is the memory seated properly? Is it seated in the correct memory slots? Does it work when you remove the stick of Corsair?
  • ins4n17yins4n17y Cabanatuan City, Philippines Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    no way i'd NEVER do that :P

the first time i did this was with an MSI-K7N2 Delta Deluxe.......i've always been extreme about timings. and when i overclocked the msi board the same thing happened. i feel really bad because when i built that machine (the MSI one) i cooked my athlon xp 2500+ (which wasn't a mobile at the time) and i just sold the board away...
    edited August 2006
    yes it was OFF when i installed the memory.

Have you reset the CMOS? Is the memory seated properly? Is it seated in the correct memory slots? Does it work when you remove the stick of Corsair?

yes, yes and yes, and no.

you know what i'm on my laptop right now that i just finished souping up. i really want this desktop to even show a sign of life..... :'(

last thing i did with my desktop was run prime 95. see i was about to put the rig into the overclocking database you guys have. so before i went to sleep i made of the verification list of the things and screenshots i need to make.

turns out i ran sisoft sandra and i was surprised i got higher scores than an fx51 and i did this on air cooling.....mind you i have 19 fans altogether in the system (its a little noisy) plus the volcano 12 massive copper cooler. after sisoft which i decided to see out of curiosity how my rig would do, i ran prime 95. the screen went blank after about 5 minutes, the computer just shut down....and the system refused to turn back on....fustrated, i left it alone and went to sleep. later today when i got my package and put in the memory, i should say the screen stayed black.......

so i was wondering.....is my system shot?
    edited August 2006
    please i'm so desperate at least today my system turns on.....but nothing....why? dammit why? grrrrr........
    edited August 2006
    You're going to hate this, but may I suggest you take everything out of the case and run it with just bare minimum?

What kind of PSU is powering it?
    edited August 2006
    Thermaltake 550W is it any good? (I was told it was)

by the way how do i post images_in_the_post? (i'm a n00b, hopefully not for long.)
    edited August 2006
    PSU should be fine.

Posting images: In the reply to thread page, look under "additional options" and select "manage attachments." From there, you'll be able to upload images. Don't forget to size them nicely so the thread loads quickly and it doesn't cause a horizontal scroll bar on even high res displays. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Have you examined the motherboard for scorch marks? It would seem that if you shorted or burned a motherboard chip it probably wouldn't start up at all, but maybe...

Do you have a spare video card you try in the board? Maybe it's just a video problem.
    edited August 2006
    um i took the cpu fan off.....the chip is black.....i totally cooked my chip. the die is literally black. does anyone know where i can get another athlon xp-m 2400+ that runs at 35w with stepping FJQ4C? thanks guys for all your help but i think i'm totally out on this one. *sigh* i'll be needing another cpu. the heatsink came loose i think......cause i noticed a little tilt in the heatsink and fan......which is probably why my cpu reached high temps within minutes of being powered on.....
    edited August 2006
    Your assessment is no doubt correct. There's just no way a CPU would burn itself completely like that with the heatsink clamped down securely. Don't be angry with yourself. I would imagine most of us overclockers/tweakers have experienced a minor catastrophe during our DIY careers. :rolleyes:
    edited August 2006
    leonardo you're right. but you know what, now we have another problem. i put in another chip an athlon 950 from an older computer into the socket. nothing.....so i went out and bought today one of those pci diagnostic thingys. the code on the lcd display of the pci read that my bios is cooked on my mainboard as well. which is ok, cause i looked on google how to restore my bios and i have to hot swap my bios with a good one, while its turned on. i bought this board for that "ability to be hotswappable bios" reason in case that happened. my msi k7n2 delta ultra bios cooked and that was the end of that board after an rma. so i bought this board and now i have to hot swap the bois back on. oh no, why me or dear me.....why? does any one here know how to hot swap a bios on an ABiT NF7-S 2.0 nForce2 Ultra MainBoard?

seriously i quit. everything fails. thats it. why did i even sign up to a geek forum? urgh, i'm such a failure i don't wanna be a geek no more. if any moderator reads this wipe my account will you?
    edited August 2006
    There are two or three threads here in the forums on BIOS chip hot swapping. Just do a forums search for "hot swap", "hotswap", "hot swapping"....

An alternative is just to order a new BIOS chip from Tmod. His service is good and his service and shipping charges are favorable to the customer.

Let me introduce Tmod.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Ain't no one gettin' no account wiped 'round here, son. Deal with it.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US.
    edited August 2006
    seriously i quit. everything fails. thats it. why did i even sign up to a geek forum?
    Hey, it happens. You can't learn to do things with your own hands without risk, whether it's building a deck for your home, tweaking a computer, or servicing your car. Unfortunately, with learning there are often setbacks. I've damaged computer equipment before too, but I wouldn't go back to buying off the shelf junk and paying computer shops for service if you paid me.
    edited August 2006
    after nearly a couple weeks now somone managed to get me another bios for my abit board....thanks anyways my buddy had one handy and just gave it to me. i found another cpu on ebay its a athlon xp-m 2600+ now with iqyha stepping and AXMG legendary overclocking process..... and it seems my system is fine now. i'll just go easy on the tweaks and mods but thanks everyone here at short-media for all your help.